Random fps drops in all games

Neoon

Hey,

Since a while, I noticed fps drops in all games, they happen random, but certainly often.

The Desktop has the folliwing specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8300

Memory: 16GB DDR3

Graphics: 1050 Ti

Storage: 1x 256GB SSD, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 500GB HDD

The issues started a while ago, I already did the following, to find the cause:

- OS reinstalled, all drives formated, tried it without AntiVirus

- newest graphic driver

- checked SSD's for bad sectors

- checked Memory

- Temperatures are below 60 under load thanks to 3 case fans

Anyone got an idea?

Go back a few GPU driver versions and see if that is the cause.

The FX series CPUs are getting hammered by newer games, much moreso than their i7 contemporaries.  I just put my old FX rig back together (similar specs) and saw the same behavior in many games.

I can tell you, that its not a cpu bottleneck, I mean games like CSGO, TF2, I also faced the same drops in games like Oxygen not included, PUBG....

Thats the CPU we talk about: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8300+Eight-Core&id=1825, close to 8k benchmark points, still decent enough.

But I will check the gpu drivers, thanks.

Yeah, didnt think about that.  I had that problem on my first AM3+ board back in 2010.

If it has no heatsink, there are some small heatsinks you can epoxy onto the mosfets with thermal epoxy. That and airflow would likely make it a bit better.  If you can find a good 8+2 VRM AM3+ board for cheap, that would fix it.

It's just going to get worse with FX platform. It is a junk chip unfortunately. Take the opportunity to get something modern.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Well, the heatsinks cost me 15EUR with shipping.

A new motherboard + cpu and new memory since I need DDR4 would cost me at least 300EUR.

I do not see the point why I should spend 300EUR on a working system, which has heat issues on the VRM's, which can be fixed with proper heatsinks, hopefully.

Try to undervolt and underclock your CPU to verify the VRM being the problem.

5 hours ago, Neoon said:

Well, the heatsinks cost me 15EUR with shipping.

A new motherboard + cpu and new memory since I need DDR4 would cost me at least 300EUR.

I do not see the point why I should spend 300EUR on a working system, which has heat issues on the VRM's, which can be fixed with proper heatsinks, hopefully.

Did you confirm if the GPU driver you're trying is the problem yet, because I've found the latest Nvidia driver to be a complete turd. It was causing ridiculous stuttering in VR for me for no reason even when nothing is being hit hard. I rolled back to 398.11 (if I remember correctly) and everything is perfect again.

35 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Did you confirm if the GPU driver you're trying is the problem yet, because I've found the latest Nvidia driver to be a complete turd. It was causing ridiculous stuttering in VR for me for no reason even when nothing is being hit hard. I rolled back to 398.11 (if I remember correctly) and everything is perfect again.

CPU throttling is pretty obvious when it happens, especially on FX.  Just imagine your performance flip-flopping between a 1st gen core 2 duo and an i5.

Well, I ordered the Heat sinks already, there are coming tomorrow, I let you know, premium Amazon prime.

I did cleaned up my tower today a bit, especially near the cpu fan and the mosfets, after that.... I noticed still drops but not like down to 15 FPS I had before.

it still goes from 300 FPS at best, down to 40FPS in the same position on the map ingame randomly.

I hope applying the cooling elements tomorrow will eliminate that.

I tried a different driver today from NVDIA I did not noticed any changes so far, but what I saw yesterday was the GPU was at 20% and I had low fps.

So its definitely not the GPU or its driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Well yea.... it was not good enough for me.

I ended up getting a new motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P.

Also I replaced the stock cooler with ARCTIC Freezer 13 and got me also some decent cooling pasta.

Now it seems to work, better, 100 bucks for all.

Ryzen would cost me at least 300 bucks.