AMD 1800x or 2700x

Hi, I have currently en Intel core i 5 4690. but it can not handle my workstation loads like virtual machines and can not run the programme's that I coded smooth enough. So i did some research after some processors.

I came out that the i7 8700k the best processor is for me. But way to expensive. So i looked at AMD and found out that the 1800x and the 2700x beat the 8700k and they are cheaper. Is the 2700x really worth its money? The 1800x is way cheaper and lets me have the option to buy a Dark Rock 4 cpu cooler extra for the same price as an 2700x with stock cooler. Or is the stock cooler good enough ? I do not intend to overclock and I'm planning to turn off the auto overclocking. No matter which one i buy they will both be running on base clocks.

Depends, If you only use it for workstation purposes it should be enough but the single core performance is noticeable increased in 2700x so for things like gaming and stuff it is recommended or if you are okay with 1800x for gaming. The multicore score is also increased in 2000 series. You get 70-80% performance of 1700 in a 2600. Overall if you don't game or you budget isn't enough get a 1800x 

none, get a 1700, it's 200 bucks now, you can't beat that value

Overclocking is easy and safe, or you don't want it because of stability reasons?

Normally the 1800X would cost the same or more than the 2700X, but right now they seem to be on sale to clear remaining stock. That makes the 1800X great value, so that's what I would go for. It's only slightly slower than the 2700X.

1 hour ago, Beowulff83 said:

If your motherboard supports it have you looked at getting a used 4790?

why used?

Bolivia.

1 hour ago, lonewolf543210 said:

lets me have the option to buy a Dark Rock 4 cpu cooler

1 hour ago, lonewolf543210 said:

I do not intend to overclock

lol what? at this point it seems you are in a tight space for cash so i would decide between the 1700 or 2600x 

image.png.0092a04c5944e739c4febc109edaf22c.png

XFR2 really nice though~ im leaning more 2600x

Bolivia.

i do not game very much. Actually not at all if you think Minecraft is not a game. so it is pretty much only for heavy usage of virtual machines, programming and normal everyday stuff like YouTube ant research. But an 4790 is not an option for me. I have looked it up and the workstation part is just a little better than by the 7700hq(in my laptop), which can barely keep up. and if it is possible, it has to have 8 cores. i use a lot of multi-core programes. So the 1700 seems interesting but is the 1700x also good for its money? you see, I want a high end cpu that can last for a while, lets say to at least the year 2022 or 2023.

I also don't get the difference between the x or not x cpu's, is it just the clock speed or something else?

Ps.: I know it sounds like bulsh** but I do not wanna overclock because of heat and lifespan. I know this stuff can survive a long time. But I do sometimes such heavy loads that my current pc shuts down because of overheating and overload. especially the last one.

both are similar.  depends on price

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

10 hours ago, lonewolf543210 said:

I also don't get the difference between the x or not x cpu's, is it just the clock speed or something else?

Ps.: I know it sounds like bulsh** but I do not wanna overclock because of heat and lifespan. I know this stuff can survive a long time. But I do sometimes such heavy loads that my current pc shuts down because of overheating and overload. especially the last one.

The x means a  higher clock speed factory out of the box.  If you are not going to overclock you Want the X.  The first gen ryzen 1800x does NOT come with a cooler so you need to factor that into the price.  The Ryzen 2700x comes with a cooler and is going to be faster.  Whether or not its worth the extra $ i will leave that up to you to agonize over.  You Should be happy either way.  If it was me and i could afford the extra $, I probably would just get the the 2700x and be done with it.   Enjoy your new build!

I would highly recommend the AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs if you are using VMs and doing multithreaded tasks as you said, get the 2700x if you can, otherwise grab that 1800x with that cooler. I would go for the 2700x just because of the small improvements, because they do make a small but noticeable difference.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

i want to thank you all for your help. i am gonna choose for the 2700x. lets hope it gives my the trust in AMD back. I've had a few AMD PC before but they were the worst cpu's ever. from that moment i went to Intel. but they are now a days way to expensive and the upgrade possibilities are pore.

Don't get either.  Get a 1700 and overclock it.  The 2700x is only a little bit better, but it's an extra $100US+.  You don't have to be a master overclocker, just enter a few settings manually and you're done.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440