Need help getting started on NAS/Plex server

Go to solution Solved by Ramaddil,

I wouldn't use a laptop unless it is modern.. Old Laptops have slow processors and they are not built for transcoding.  Your FX6300 would be better.  You dont need a Graphics Card like that for a server.  It uses alot of power, get a low power card just to be able to have a GUI.  I used a Zotac GT710 1x pcie for all my server machines just to have video.  Internet speed is great.   

FX6300 has a passmark score around 6300 at stock speeds.  That should be able to handle at least 3 1080 transcoding  streams and possibly some direct streams.  If you need more streams you could invest in a 8000 series fx chip on the cheap from ebay.

I run Windows 10 with Plex, file storage and other programs.   

Hello, I am looking to start a server for family and friends. I would like for them to be able to read/write in certain areas while keeping private folders for my own files. I was also hoping to be able to host Plex on the same machine.

Would you recommend windows 10 and FreeNAS for what I want to do?

Do you have a system already set up? if not what is your budget?  How many streams do you anticipate will be sharing at the same time and what is your internet connection speeds?:

Use FreeNAS and setup a Plex docker container.

Are you also looking for hardware? If so tell us how many plex streams you want to be able to handle at once and how much storage you need.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I would recommend trying out FreeNAS on some junk hardware (if you have any) before you invest in that path.  It is meant to be a small/medium business NFS solution so there are lots of pitfalls for the newbies.  There are also many considerations when using ZFS including processor power, RAM quantity, and RAID level choices.  If you are looking for a set it and forget it kind of solution I would either go with Unraid, which is very hardware forgiving, or buy a precanned solution such as Synology (my favorite brand).

All of the options I mention above will allow for a Plex server docker image to run on them.

Do you have a system already set up? if not what is your budget?  How many streams do you anticipate will be sharing at the same time and what is your internet connection speeds?:

I have a couple options, there is an old laptop that i can re-purpose with a raid enclosure or i can Frankenstein my older FX 6300 and HD 7850 build to handle it. I wouldnt expect more than 4 streams happening simultaneously. If those can't handle it, I'm willing to invest a couple hundo into a cpu/mobo. As for speeds i get 230 down/ 25 Mb up

14 minutes ago, anFish said:

I have a couple options, there is an old laptop that i can re-purpose with a raid enclosure or i can Frankenstein my older FX 6300 and HD 7850 build to handle it. I wouldnt expect more than 4 streams happening simultaneously. If those can't handle it, I'm willing to invest a couple hundo into a cpu/mobo. As for speeds i get 230 down/ 25 Mb up

What laptop?

Do you need transcoding in  plex?

How much do you care about power consumption?

I wouldn't use a laptop unless it is modern.. Old Laptops have slow processors and they are not built for transcoding.  Your FX6300 would be better.  You dont need a Graphics Card like that for a server.  It uses alot of power, get a low power card just to be able to have a GUI.  I used a Zotac GT710 1x pcie for all my server machines just to have video.  Internet speed is great.   

FX6300 has a passmark score around 6300 at stock speeds.  That should be able to handle at least 3 1080 transcoding  streams and possibly some direct streams.  If you need more streams you could invest in a 8000 series fx chip on the cheap from ebay.

I run Windows 10 with Plex, file storage and other programs.   

Thanks for the help, once i get some storage I'll look into benchmarking my 6300 to see where it stands for streams and move on from there.

Have you considered just using Windows? 

For Storage you can use Storage Spaces to setup your disks, and you will no doubt be far more familiar with setting up and configuring Windows shares. 

Plex for Windows also supports descrete graphics cards for hardware acceleration which will be much easier on the streaming meaning you could run something as light as an i3 6300 and you should get a few streams out of that easily. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Have you considered just using Windows? 

For Storage you can use Storage Spaces to setup your disks, and you will no doubt be far more familiar with setting up and configuring Windows shares. 

Plex for Windows also supports descrete graphics cards for hardware acceleration which will be much easier on the streaming meaning you could run something as light as an i3 6300 and you should get a few streams out of that easily. 

Honestly using the FX chip he already might be a better option.  Graphics Transcoding is kind of weak on Plex, only allows two stream from hardware accelerated option instead of using a nice cpu and a small/low power GPU.

For file sharing look at next cloud, you can install a SMB plugin to share files that way too. Only problem is everybody is going to need a username/password and in my experience friends are often too lazy to deal with a username/password.

On 7/07/2018 at 5:37 AM, Ramaddil said:

Honestly using the FX chip he already might be a better option.  Graphics Transcoding is kind of weak on Plex, only allows two stream from hardware accelerated option instead of using a nice cpu and a small/low power GPU.

Plex only supports two streams on nVidia consumer hardware, and this is an nVidia limitation

If using Quick Sync, AMD Cards or Quadro P2000 or above multi streams are supported.

If you want a system that is easy on power unless actually working then an i3 6x00 with an RX460 is not a bad option.