Starting a budget build let me know what you think $1000

Going to build a budget gaming rig, nothing crazy. Budget is around $1000 and I picked out what I thought would work for this build but I am no pro. I am hoping for some advice so I don’t buy something and find out later there was a better option. Also I am going back and forth on stock cooler aftermarket cooler or an AIO. This pc will travel a lot so needs to stay as light weight as possible. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I am excited to learn something new. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Gv28Hh

7 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

welcome to the forums!

You might try getting a large dual tower air cooler instead of an AIO as the perform similar, are quieter and require less maintenance.

Thank you ?

I was thinking that could be a good option but the weight vs proformace over the lighter stock cooler. You think it would be a significant enough increase?

Welcome!

I highly suggest you pickup faster ram, and 2 sticks of it. Ryzen really likes to have fast, dual channel memory, so keep that in mind if you want the most out of your Ryzen 7. The B350 board may also not support Ryzen 2000 series processors as they would need a BIOS update to be supported and run. Some board manufacturers might do these updates, but AMD has kits they ship so you can upgrade. You have to return them though.

Other than that, the build is solid.

hi.

1 minute ago, Jdking229 said:

Thank you ?

I was thinking that could be a good option but the weight vs proformace over the lighter stock cooler. You think it would be a significant enough increase?

If you are looking to overclock the 2700X, an aftermarket cooler would be best. Look at the Noctua tower coolers.

hi.

If you aren't looking to overclock, you can get the 2700 and an A320 board.

The differences are negligible for a budget build. Here's a little reference. (Sorry IDK how to make it smaller)Image result for am4 chipset

Thank you ?

I will take another look at the ram. That’s one of the things I was most worried about because ram can break a budget really fast. My plan was to start with the 16 then add another down the line. But I will for sure take that into consideration and look into a faster ram speed. Any recommendations for what to look for? On most CPU’s in the past there is a point that the ram speed becomes irrelevant to my knowledge, but then again I am no pro lol. The board could use another look honestly I picked it because it’s a msi gaming mobo and it’s red ?

Also that SSD is WAYYY overkill. Unless you need to be reading and writing at nearly 4 Gigabytes per second. Not bits, bytes. I have had good luck with the WD Blue M.2 SSDs. Or even the non-NVME WD Black M.2s.

if you're just gaming, get an i5 8400 or i7 instead. get a Pro4 instead of that board.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Thank you ?

I will take another look at the ram. That’s one of the things I was most worried about because ram can break a budget really fast. My plan was to start with the 16 then add another down the line. But I will for sure take that into consideration and look into a faster ram speed. Any recommendations for what to look for? On most CPU’s in the past there is a point that the ram speed becomes irrelevant to my knowledge, but then again I am no pro lol. The board could use another look honestly I picked it because it’s a msi gaming mobo and it’s red ?

G.Skill or GeIL have dual channel, 16GB kits running at 3000MHz for around $150.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403000&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1

hi.

Thank you ?

So RAM being in single vs dual channel can make a fairly large difference. If you plan on upgrading eventually then I would shell out the extra money for an X470 with full features because that's gonna be the last thing you want to upgrade (from a labor stand point). Plus it will have 4 DIMM slots and you can get 2x8 then upgrade with another 2x8 kit later.

4 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

This is what I came up with, a tiny travel friendly case, with enough room for a full size gpu. Also matches your colour scheme and has two SSDs. Not to mention included WiFi with the motherboard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FTbL7W

I like it! I will have to look at it a little closer but yeah it’s a great idea. The reason I picked the case it the lighter weight but also wanted handles to carry it with. 

7 minutes ago, DaveKerk said:

Also that SSD is WAYYY overkill. Unless you need to be reading and writing at nearly 4 Gigabytes per second. Not bits, bytes. I have had good luck with the WD Blue M.2 SSDs. Or even the non-NVME WD Black M.2s.

The idea behind that is streaming while doing  graphic design or video editing as well as streaming gaming. Streaming and recording stuff like that. Would it still be more then I need?

The idea behind that is streaming while doing  graphic design or video editing as well as streaming gaming. Streaming and recording stuff like that. Would it still be more then I need?

Honestly probably, if you're doing graphic design and such while streaming at the same time I would recommend reallocating the funds from the SSD to more RAM. Try to get 32GB for RAM. I think it'll make a difference for your situation.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.90 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($173.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG  512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($86.64 @ Amazon) 
Total: $900.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-04 00:02 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

15 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

if you're just gaming, get an i5 8400 or i7 instead. get a Pro4 instead of that board.

Little more then gaming I am trying to see how far I can stretch this build and stick to the budget. Personally I have always used intel and have no problem with it but never built a good rig like that around a grand. 

13 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.90 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($173.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG  512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply  ($86.64 @ Amazon) 
Total: $900.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-04 00:02 EDT-0400

I am liking the looks of this build I would be able to drop a second stick of the ram in it for the 32 and still be in my budget. ?

All very good ideas thank you very much for your thoughts on this. I will have to make a few tweaks here and there to see what I can implement into the build idea I have and then also look further into the build suggestions like the one @Herman Mcpootis brought me. I am rethinking the mobo and ssd for sure. Then adding another stick of ram with higher speeds I think goes without saying at this point. ?