HELP - Thermal paste and copper shim?

Go to solution Solved by Christophe Corazza,
5 minutes ago, Phantomx60 said:

Thanks for the response, I was thinking something similar, I'll take your advice and stick to only applying thermal paste. I've seen Arctic MX-4 mentioned here a good number of times, it looks decent and pretty cheap, so I'm going to order that. :)

Arctic MX-4 is indeed a perfect budget-wise thermal paste that is excellent for every day use.

One step up the ladder, you can find Noctua NT-H1 and Arctic Silver 5. Both are very good thermal pasts and perform well for overclocking.

If you really want to go balls to the walls in terms of performance, you could buy Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is obviously more expensive than the previous ones. However, in your case this would simply be overkill ;-)

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion DV6 3032SA laptop, the cooling fan in it died a while ago, didn't have time to replace it but now I do. I've just ordered a replacement cooling fan for it and was wondering about reapplying the thermal paste for the CPU and GPU, since I've read forums saying the DV6 series is apparently well known for overheating and so I want to prevent that from happening.

I asked this in another forum and the response was to place one piece of copper shim on the CPU and GPU, apply some thermal paste on top of the copper shim and then place the heatsink on top (for better thermal transfer).

But, I've read in one of the topics here that you shouldn't use copper shims with laptop heatsinks and that you just apply a good thermal paste which should be enough.

So I'm not sure what to do now, will the combination of copper shim and thermal paste really help that much or cause harm? Should I just stick to only applying thermal paste?

A reply as soon as possible would be much appreciated.

17 minutes ago, Phantomx60 said:

I asked this in another forum and the response was to place one piece of copper shim on the CPU and GPU, apply some thermal paste on top of the copper shim and then place the heatsink on top (for better thermal transfer).

I don't see why you would do this, since the more material that sits between your CPU dye and the coolant fluid will increase thermal resistance.

Simply apply a thermal paste from a decent manufacturer, remount the CPU cooler et voilà. There is no need to make things more complicated ;)

On 03/07/2018 at 11:28 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

I don't see why you would do this, since the more material that sits between your CPU dye and the coolant fluid will increase thermal resistance.

Simply apply a thermal paste from a decent manufacturer, remount the CPU cooler et voilà. There is no need to make things more complicated ;)

Thanks for the response, I was thinking something similar, I'll take your advice and stick to only applying thermal paste. I've seen Arctic MX-4 mentioned here a good number of times, it looks decent and pretty cheap, so I'm going to order that. :)

5 minutes ago, Phantomx60 said:

Arctic MX-4 is indeed a perfect budget-wise thermal paste that is excellent for every day use.

One step up the ladder, you can find Noctua NT-H1 and Arctic Silver 5. Both are very good thermal pasts and perform well for overclocking.

If you really want to go balls to the walls in terms of performance, you could buy Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is obviously more expensive than the previous ones. However, in your case this would simply be overkill ;-)