Best Thin & Light + EGPU Combo

Hey Guys,

Second post on the forums but needed some advice.

Basically I'm looking to sell my custom built PC running an i5 6600k 16GB DDR4 & an ASUS Strix 1080TI (I know it seems like a bottleneck with the processor but has been working like a dream)

I don't get enough time to use my PC to its full potential anymore and end up using my work laptop as a media device but would like a laptop that can do both so I'm exploring the option of having a powerful laptop that can be hooked up to an EGPU when I get home to still hand some beefy gaming. I Really like the Aourus 1070 Boxes and they are decently priced, However my issue is that finding the right combo is proving difficult. I do not have too much money to work with so I would like to buy the laptop soon and the EGPU later on down the line. Would also be happy to buy maybe even a second hand laptop.

So any advice on some laptop/epgu combos would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

15 minutes ago, WolfOfTheWest said:

Hey Guys,

Second post on the forums but needed some advice.

Basically I'm looking to sell my custom built PC running an i5 6600k 16GB DDR4 & an ASUS Strix 1080TI (I know it seems like a bottleneck with the processor but has been working like a dream)

I don't get enough time to use my PC to its full potential anymore and end up using my work laptop as a media device but would like a laptop that can do both so I'm exploring the option of having a powerful laptop that can be hooked up to an EGPU when I get home to still hand some beefy gaming. I Really like the Aourus 1070 Boxes and they are decently priced, However my issue is that finding the right combo is proving difficult. I do not have too much money to work with so I would like to buy the laptop soon and the EGPU later on down the line. Would also be happy to buy maybe even a second hand laptop.

So any advice on some laptop/epgu combos would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

The blade stealth will be nice but don’t sell the 1080ti get an enclosure like Razer Core X for 300$

Why not just get a gaming laptop then? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Why not just get a gaming laptop then? 

Compromised battery life, noise, heat, etc. Also, I agree with @DonKashyap. You are going to lose performance with any egpu, so mind as well save a few hundred bucks. Go with an enclosure like the Razer Core X and keep the 1080 Ti for it.

In terms of a laptop, you will want as strong of a cpu as you can find since you will be stuck with it. I'll search for some candidates.

1 minute ago, Demolishdude said:

Compromised battery life, noise, heat, etc. Also

Surely a gaming laptop makes more sense in this case, the biggest flaw with an eGPU set-up is that you loose it's core function the portability.  

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Surely a gaming laptop makes more sense in this case, the biggest flaw with an eGPU set-up is that you loose it's core function the portability.  

This is true, so I guess it begs the question: @WolfOfTheWest, do you intend to travel and game? Or do you just want to be able to plug in at the end of the day?

EDIT: Also, what is the budget for this? Do you intend to go for a high end laptop? Or are you looking for something on a lower budget?

I wouldn't go below an i7-8750H to suit your needs.

You should be able to find a nice laptop with thunderbolt 3 and no dedicated GPU to cut down on costs and heat to suit your needs.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Hey Guys,

To answer the questions above I want something that I can come home and plug into at the end of the day.

High power gaming on the go isn't the aim for me its still having some juice when I get home but something light weight on the go like an XPS or a razer stealth.

My budget is around 1100 for the laptop and I'm willing to spend as far as around 500-600 maybe on the EGPU later on down the line.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

5 hours ago, Demolishdude said:

Compromised battery life, noise, heat, etc. Also, I agree with @DonKashyap. You are going to lose performance with any egpu, so mind as well save a few hundred bucks. Go with an enclosure like the Razer Core X and keep the 1080 Ti for it.

In terms of a laptop, you will want as strong of a cpu as you can find since you will be stuck with it. I'll search for some candidates.

Hey Man,

In an Ideal situation this is what I'd like to do however I take a significant budget hit if I don't sell the GPU also.

Thanks for the advice!

On 02/07/2018 at 6:03 PM, Demolishdude said:

This is true, so I guess it begs the question: @WolfOfTheWest, do you intend to travel and game? Or do you just want to be able to plug in at the end of the day?

EDIT: Also, what is the budget for this? Do you intend to go for a high end laptop? Or are you looking for something on a lower budget?

To answer your question I'd like to just have to get me through on the go and then keep gaming strictly for at home.

Was thinking an XPS 15 9560 + the Aorus 1070 EGPU.

Thoughts?

19 hours ago, WolfOfTheWest said:

To answer your question I'd like to just have to get me through on the go and then keep gaming strictly for at home.

Thoughts?

Yup, that looks good! Just remember that when you want to upgrade, you will need another mini card due to how small the aorus gaming box is.

9 hours ago, Demolishdude said:

Yup, that looks good! Just remember that when you want to upgrade, you will need another mini card due to how small the aorus gaming box is.

Sweet thanks for the help !

On 7/3/2018 at 11:46 PM, WolfOfTheWest said:

Thoughts?

XPS 15 isn’t ultra portable 

it overheats everyone knows that get the new XPS 13 if u like XPS devices and u will spend nearly as much for a new 1070 as much u get for second hand 1080 ti (200$  Nearly) I think u should get that by getting a really protable device without GPU keep your graphic card and when possible get a eGPU enclosure