99% SRGB coverage, is it really important?

zymel

I've been looking to get myself a new monitor for editing video, pictures and playing games, and one of the choices I ended up on had 99% SRGB coverage. But I realized that it's price was on sale, and I won't be able to upgrade before a few months, when I have money, so I am faced with a choice: pay 270$ CAN for one monitor, or 330$ for the one with 99% of the SRGB colour space (it also has Free Sync but I have a GTX 1060, so no luck on that).

And so my question was: is it really worth it to pay the price premium when I'm just an amateur?

15 minutes ago, zymel said:

I've been looking to get myself a new monitor for editing video, pictures and playing games, and one of the choices I ended up on had 99% SRGB coverage. But I realized that it's price was on sale, and I won't be able to upgrade before a few months, when I have money, so I am faced with a choice: pay 205$ CAN for one monitor, or 330$ for the one with 99% of the SRGB colour space (it also has Free Sync but I have a GTX 1060, so no luck on that).

And so my question was: is it really worth it to pay the price premium when I'm just an amateur?

It's really not something others can decide for you mate. Will having greater colour accuracy on your monitor (bearing in mind that many monitors ship with uncalibrated panels that don't reach their coverage out of the box) actually improve the quality of the videos and images you create?

Getting a highly accurate monitor (to me) seems to be purely in the realm of the folk that do this kind of work professionally, since they'll be able to do their job better with as accurate a panel as possible.

My personal opinion for you would be to get whatever monitor that is in your price range and has the resolution, dimensions and features you want. Colour accuracy beyond a certain point is just a marketing blurb for normal folk.

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

It's really not something others can decide for you mate. Will having greater colour accuracy on your monitor (bearing in mind that many monitors ship with uncalibrated panels that don't reach their coverage out of the box) actually improve the quality of the videos and images you create?

Getting a highly accurate monitor (to me) seems to be purely in the realm of the folk that do this kind of work professionally, since they'll be able to do their job better with as accurate a panel as possible.

My personal opinion for you would be to get whatever monitor that is in your price range and has the resolution, dimensions and features you want. Colour accuracy beyond a certain point is just a marketing blurb for normal folk.

Thanks man, since I always hear everyone boasting theses kinda things, I never really knew if it was important for someone like me. I guess you made me save a bunch. Thanks!

Unless you do something that requires colour correction it's not really that important. Save your money.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

12 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Unless you do something that requires colour correction it's not really that important. Save your money.

Well, I do light colour correction, but that's all

Just now, zymel said:

Well, I do light colour correction, but that's all

In that case it might be important, worth $50 maybe not but it depends if you could spend that money better

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

In that case it might be important, worth $50 maybe not but it depends if you could spend that money better

True, it's only 50$... With tax it's like 58 tho... hmmmm I'll see! But put like that, 50$ might be worth it since I'll be going to study film in not that long

12 minutes ago, zymel said:

True, it's only 50$... With tax it's like 58 tho... hmmmm I'll see! But put like that, 50$ might be worth it since I'll be going to study film in not that long

In that case, I  say go for it

She/they 

3 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

In that case, I  say go for it

Yeah, I'll wait around and see. It definitively would be worth it I think