ThreadRipper 1950X - Idle Temps too high

I have recently built a new system using the TR 1950X, it's running on a ASUS Prime x399-A board, with a Noctua NHU14-S in a push pull configuration.

My idle temperatures are really high, ranging from 44-55c sitting on the desktop screen only.

Running intel burn test, it shoots up to 80c.

This is all with no overclock, running factory settings - with the automatic overclock disabled.

I have verified that the fan curve is working correctly and that the cooler is properly installed. I have reseated it twice to ensure of this.

Could anyone offer some advice as to what's wrong?

Thanks

Which thermal compound type is being utilized?

Which application method was used? (IE: Big Blob, X pattern etc..)

2 hours ago, MRZL1 said:

Which thermal compound type is being utilized?

Which application method was used? (IE: Big Blob, X pattern etc..)

I'm using the paste provided by Noctua

I have tested the big blob, the 8 dots method (outlined in noctua install guide) and the X pattern which im currently using now

None of these have had any significant difference on the temps

how about the thing that Threatripper has a high TDP and the Noctua cooler is a good cooler but not for this high?

On my i9 7960X i have also a Noctua 14 and it burns at 100C without OC while Blender.

Little sidenote: the cooler that you mentioned has no TR4 socket support - it is an small area cooler

Your cooler is not for the TR4 socket as pointed above.

What you should've bought is NH U14S TR4-SP3 and not NH U14S. The TR4-SP3 has a modified base to fit onto the TR4 socket properly.

hasn't the AMD on the Zen/Zen+ a temp offset of about 30C? after that it would be fine and otherwise check the cooler temp via going near (if it's above 60C you definetly feel it, DO NOT TOUCH IT MAY BE A HOT SURFACE), or use an actual Thermometer for measuring the socket temp from the back of the mainboard.

1 hour ago, NMS said:

Your cooler is not for the TR4 socket as pointed above.

What you should've bought is NH U14S TR4-SP3 and not NH U14S. The TR4-SP3 has a modified base to fit onto the TR4 socket properly.

Small mistake, I am actually using the cooler you specified - I did not realize there was a naming convention difference. Hopefully that clears up some confusion.

1 hour ago, tankhunter8192 said:

hasn't the AMD on the Zen/Zen+ a temp offset of about 30C? after that it would be fine and otherwise check the cooler temp via going near (if it's above 60C you definetly feel it, DO NOT TOUCH IT MAY BE A HOT SURFACE), or use an actual Thermometer for measuring the socket temp from the back of the mainboard.

I have heard about this offset before, but is there no way for me to disable it?

I've turned off 'Miskew' in the bios, but it's made no impact

25 minutes ago, Meowys said:

is there no way for me to disable it?

it is a hardware offset, so no, but in a smart software you can set also an offset or the sotware developer has implemented already the right offset in the beginn or an patch.