Engineering Laptop

Go to solution Solved by Dackzy,

What type of engineering are you going to do? Are you going to do a lot of CAD work? If yes, then basically only look at laptops with Quadro cards.

If you are just starting on the education, then basically any basic laptop is going to get you through the first 2 semesters.

A T420s has been able to get me through the first two semesters of mechanical engineering and when I talk to mechanical engineering students that go to different universities, then the place I go seem to focus more on CAD and give bigger CAD assignments.

Ofc it isn't the smoothest experience once the CAD models start to become a bit complicated.

The things I would recommend that you look for are.

Upgradeable ram

Good temps

Good keyboard

Quadro GPU or maybe a AMD GPU

Upgradeable storage

A high performance CPU, so no CPU that ends with a U.

Dell, Lenovo and HP are all releasing new workstation laptops with Pascal Quadro GPUs and 8th gen CPUs, but these laptops are probably also going to run you $2000 or more, maybe $1600 for one with the most basic configuration.

So Dell precision 7K series, Lenovo ThinkPad P series and HP zBook series.

The reason why I don't say that you should get a gaming laptop, is that GTX GPUs are pretty useless in CAD. A Quadro even beats a GTX GPU in CAD programs that support GTX GPUs.

I completely understand if you don't have the kind of money a new workstation laptop cost, but you could always look used or do as I did and use a old laptop that still is snappy and then save up during the first and maybe second semester.

I was wondering but the best laptop with these spec, provided by my college would be. Thanks. 

• Intel i7 processor
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • 256 GB storage system
  • Discrete graphics card (Nvidia chipset is highly recommended)

Budget?

I would recommend a Dell laptop for workstation purposes. What's your budget?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

What type of engineering are you going to do? Are you going to do a lot of CAD work? If yes, then basically only look at laptops with Quadro cards.

If you are just starting on the education, then basically any basic laptop is going to get you through the first 2 semesters.

A T420s has been able to get me through the first two semesters of mechanical engineering and when I talk to mechanical engineering students that go to different universities, then the place I go seem to focus more on CAD and give bigger CAD assignments.

Ofc it isn't the smoothest experience once the CAD models start to become a bit complicated.

Upgradeable ram

Good temps

Good keyboard

Upgradeable storage

Dell, Lenovo and HP are all releasing new workstation laptops with Pascal Quadro GPUs and 8th gen CPUs, but these laptops are probably also going to run you $2000 or more, maybe $1600 for one with the most basic configuration.

The reason why I don't say that you should get a gaming laptop, is that GTX GPUs are pretty useless in CAD. A Quadro even beats a GTX GPU in CAD programs that support GTX GPUs.

I completely understand if you don't have the kind of money a new workstation laptop cost, but you could always look used or do as I did and use a old laptop that still is snappy and then save up during the first and maybe second semester.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

9 hours ago, DeWat4 said:

Budget?

Around 2000

9 hours ago, Versaji said:

I was wondering but the best laptop with these spec, provided by my college would be. Thanks. 

• Intel i7 processor
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • 256 GB storage system
  • Discrete graphics card (Nvidia chipset is highly recommended)

Around 2000 is my budget

9 hours ago, bellabichon said:

I would recommend a Dell laptop for workstation purposes. What's your budget?

Around 2000 

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Upgradeable ram

Good temps

Good keyboard

Upgradeable storage

Ive been saving up and i have around 2000. What do you recommend. 

2 hours ago, Versaji said:

Ive been saving up and i have around 2000. What do you recommend. 

I would recommend waiting until the new ThinkPad P52 hits the market or the zBook 15 G5 or whatever Dell end up calling the new precision 7k series model.

You will get a Quadro GPU, 8th gen 6 core CPU, upgradeable ram, upgradeable storage, often okay temps and if you get the P52 then you get the keyboard that is generally thought of as the best laptop keyboard.

They should be out soon. HP already have the new models on their website, just not up for sale yet.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I would recommend waiting until the new ThinkPad P52 hits the market or the zBook 15 G5 or whatever Dell end up calling the new precision 7k series model.

You will get a Quadro GPU, 8th gen 6 core CPU, upgradeable ram, upgradeable storage, often okay temps and if you get the P52 then you get the keyboard that is generally thought of as the best laptop keyboard.

They should be out soon. HP already have the new models on their website, just not up for sale yet.

Alright thank you