New router/modem suggestions

Archer_41

Recently, I found out that I am getting 20 Mbps from an old router that I have had for about 5 - 7 years. We got Verizon FiOS recently and it is supposed to give you at least 54 Mbps of speeds. Currently, I have an ISP provided modem/router combo. My dad put me up to the task of contacting different forums to see what people recommend and why. Things like how many bands should we have in the router, singles, double, or triple. Recommended range for our house? Things like that. Our router currently can only put 20 Mbps through and nothing else, not even on the wired connections we have in our house. We have a medium sized house 3 floors (Top, middle, and basement). Any suggestions on what I should be looking for in the router we decide to get?

EDIT: We are currently running 4 Iphones, 3 PCs, an Xbox One and 2 cable boxes. We do not have DSL in our area, just COAX. 

Thanks

1 minute ago, Archer_41 said:

Recently, I found out that I am getting 20 Mbps from an old router that I have had for about 5 - 7 years. We got Verizon FiOS recently and it is supposed to give you at least 54 Mbps of speeds. Currently, I have an ISP provided modem/router combo. My dad put me up to the task of contacting different forums to see what people recommend and why. Things like how many bands should we have in the router, singles, double, or triple. Recommended range for our house? Things like that. Our router currently can only put 20 Mbps through and nothing else, not even on the wired connections we have in our house. We have a medium sized house 3 floors (Top, middle, and basement). Any suggestions on what I should be looking for in the router we decide to get?

Thanks

I would personally call Verizon and ask for a replacement router. I've basically gotten my router replaced by my ISP (Shaw) every 2 or so years. These things aren't robust enough for several years of 24/7 operation. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would personally call Verizon and ask for a replacement router. I've basically gotten my router replaced by my ISP (Shaw) every 2 or so years. These things aren't robust enough for several years of 24/7 operation. 

I already tried but their reasoning was that it was so old of a router and they decommissioned them a long time ago, that they would not be able to send another. So we have to get a new one.

1 minute ago, Archer_41 said:

I already tried but their reasoning was that it was so old of a router and they decommissioned them a long time ago, that they would not be able to send another. So we have to get a new one.

Is it like a rental unit or did you purchase it outright from them? Mine was a rental so they replaced it at no cost. There was one point where I had a problem with their Cisco router where it would constantly restart. I called customer support, got forwarded to technical support and the agent admitted these things were terrible and had a very short lifespan. Ended up upgrading my Cisco unit for a nicer Hitron Gateway Modem at no cost.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is it like a rental unit or did you purchase it outright from them? Mine was a rental so they replaced it at no cost. There was one point where I had a problem with their Cisco router where it would constantly restart. I called customer support, got forwarded to technical support and the agent admitted these things were terrible and had a very short lifespan. Ended up upgrading my Cisco unit for a nicer Hitron Gateway Modem at no cost.  

From what I remember, they just gave it to us when we purchased a cable box and fios

4 hours ago, Archer_41 said:

EDIT: We are currently running 4 Iphones, 3 PCs, an Xbox One and 2 cable boxes. We do not have DSL in our area, just COAX. 

Thanks

FIOS is Fiber, what you have is a moca router, not a modem. The ONT the router is connected to is your modem. I know of no company that makes moca routers in that config. You will need to purchase one from Verizon. OR see if Verizon will provision the Ethernet port on the ONT for internet use. The Moca router controls the TV boxes and stuff, so is kinda difficult to cut it out, unless your on internet only. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.