I need help with windows

Aremis

Aight I'm not a windows user.  I'm a linux user.  I'm only 24 but the version of windows I know how to use is XP, ok.

I got a mac pro set up here with my RX580 and its doing fine.  Only thing I really want is windows on a drive.  The only windows I really like is 8.1.  I like the search features and the start menu.  But am I going to be able to use my 580?  Luke would know I think.

TLDR:  Does the RX580 run in Windows 8.1 or do I have to manhandle drivers?

Yes you can definitely use the 580 on Bootcamp.

To get the enterprise version, you gotta change the license by buying a new one. And yeah Windows 9 doesn't exist so....

1 minute ago, CapitalistVN said:

Yes you can definitely use the 580 on Bootcamp.

To get the enterprise version, you gotta change the license by buying a new one. And yeah Windows 9 doesn't exist so....

Windows 9 was the 8 enterprise repack that someone did.

Also I don't even touch bootcamp its a buggy pile of shit.

54 minutes ago, Aremis said:

Windows 9 was the 8 enterprise repack that someone did.

Also I don't even touch bootcamp its a buggy pile of shit.

I'm not sure what you're basing this blanket statement on if the most of your experience with Windows was with Windows XP, but whatever.

Bootcamp is your only choice for running Windows on modern Mac hardware. Bootcamp is needed for Windows to be able to communicate with Apple hardware through the System Management Controller (SMC), so without Bootcamp Windows won't be able to see any of the controllers, media devices, or video adapters.

Never did I think I'd hear someone say that they liked the Start menu on Windows 8.1.

Windows 9 doesn't officially exist and therefore cannot be legally licensed. If you want an enterprise version of Windows, you'd have to buy one.

Just use Windows 10 and be done with it.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

27 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I'm not sure what you're basing this blanket statement on if the most of your experience with Windows was with Windows XP, but whatever.

Bootcamp is your only choice for running Windows on modern Mac hardware. Bootcamp is needed for Windows to be able to communicate with Apple hardware through the System Management Controller (SMC), so without Bootcamp Windows won't be able to see any of the controllers, media devices, or video adapters.

Um, no???  All windows will need is the SMC dummy driver and SMC control software that I can download from apple.  8 can pull that stuff as it is, boot camp is needed for OSX to even see what else there is.  Its more or less boot management software.

I do run windows on other macs, my only questions pertain to my RX580 working with windows 8 as I cannot download specific drivers for it.  I DO have 10 on an imac that I only use the file manager and 1 app on, and another one runs 7 only for steam.  Both can use the hardware just fine and know where everything is.

You can work around the SMC or force it to work without bootcamp.  Its not that hard.

18 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

Never did I think I'd hear someone say that they liked the Start menu on Windows 8.1.

Windows 9 doesn't officially exist and therefore cannot be legally licensed. If you want an enterprise version of Windows, you'd have to buy one.

Just use Windows 10 and be done with it.

I know 9 doesn't officially exist, but Luke talked about it and there were a ton of videos out about it when the whole thing popped up.

And yeah, the 8.1 start menu was the best thing ever and all the lazy window users ignored it.  From a design standpoint you could build apps to only run in the start menu.  And the search engine was finally swapped out.  The only problem is I have no idea where anything is and when windows does something brain dead as usual I have no idea how to fix it.

Wait, so you like Windows 8.1 because of it's Start Menu, but want to use Windows 9 because it looks like Windows 7? I'm confused.

I'm pretty sure both Luke and Linus have mentioned Windows 9 in different videos and I don't think they advised people to use it.

Why have you ruled out Windows 10 by the way?

1 minute ago, chiller15 said:

Wait, so you like Windows 8.1 because of it's Start Menu, but want to use Windows 9 because it looks like Windows 7? I'm confused.

I'm pretty sure both Luke and Linus have mentioned Windows 9 in different videos and I don't think they advised people to use it.

Why have you ruled out Windows 10 by the way?

I forgot about the windows 7 stuff with 9 so that might be moot.  It has a lot of stuff pulled out was the positive part of it.

I don't like that everything has an advertisement plastered on it, as well as that if I wake it from sleep it has to take a massive dump before it thinks it wants to do anything.  It runs like crap on almost everything I have unless I just keep it on permanently.  Also I can't shut the updates down on 10 anymore.  Thats a giant peeve of mine.  I don't want to be in the middle of using chkdsk and then have windows update break everything (this happened a few days ago and pissed me off super hard).  I turn updates off on my windows installations and generally only turn them on if I need them or if an update that pops up in the news seems important enough.

Hmmm, forgot about the windows 7 theme thing though.  Gotta be a way to turn that off.

11 minutes ago, Aremis said:

I forgot about the windows 7 stuff with 9 so that might be moot.  It has a lot of stuff pulled out was the positive part of it.

I don't like that everything has an advertisement plastered on it, as well as that if I wake it from sleep it has to take a massive dump before it thinks it wants to do anything.  It runs like crap on almost everything I have unless I just keep it on permanently.  Also I can't shut the updates down on 10 anymore.  Thats a giant peeve of mine.  I don't want to be in the middle of using chkdsk and then have windows update break everything (this happened a few days ago and pissed me off super hard).  I turn updates off on my windows installations and generally only turn them on if I need them or if an update that pops up in the news seems important enough.

Hmmm, forgot about the windows 7 theme thing though.  Gotta be a way to turn that off.

Fair enough, I personally don't have any issues with the advertisements or updates, but each to their own.

You may find that the latest driver for the RX580 works on Windows 8.1.

1 minute ago, chiller15 said:

Fair enough, I personally don't have any issues with the advertisements or updates, but each to their own.

You may find that the latest driver for the RX580 works on Windows 8.1.

Look at it this way.  In void linux I don't have to worry about an update manager blowing up my work because it NEEDS to update, I just do one little command and my system is updated.  I don't even have to reboot.  And I get enough ads outside of my house, I don't need them in my gotdam notifications.  I am very annoyed by that.

And yeah, I would think so, but theres nothing on AMD's website about it and there wasn't a downloadable driver via windows driver manager when I originally got the card.

26 minutes ago, Aremis said:

Look at it this way.  In void linux I don't have to worry about an update manager blowing up my work because it NEEDS to update, I just do one little command and my system is updated.  I don't even have to reboot.  And I get enough ads outside of my house, I don't need them in my gotdam notifications.  I am very annoyed by that.

And yeah, I would think so, but theres nothing on AMD's website about it and there wasn't a downloadable driver via windows driver manager when I originally got the card.

Have you tried these drivers? https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

3 hours ago, Aremis said:

I do run windows on other macs, my only questions pertain to my RX580 working with windows 8 as I cannot download specific drivers for it. 

I don't know why it wouldn't work. GPUs don't have same kind of OS/chipset restrictions like CPUs have. With quick search you'd need to have bad luck for them not to work. Either Win7 or Win10 version should work. And if not, its Windows thats being issue. Not Apple or running OS with bootcamp.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv