How to cool rest of card with a universal waterblock on.

Hey there.

I've been into water cooling for a long time, but only getting my first real chance to look into it now. I have a GTX 780 Ti, which I plan on holding on to until the next gen cards come out. I was thinking about getting a decent universal block, like this one here, which could be used on both this and the future card.

First of all, does all of this sound like an okay plan?

Second, if I go ahead with this, what further cooling would be necessary. EKWB have these guys as needed for the RAM chips, but how do I go about cooling the rest of the card, VRM etc.

Thanks in advance.

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

more ram heatsinks

or find dedicated vrm heatsinks

Just now, campy said:

more ram heatsinks

or find dedicated vrm heatsinks

Will RAM heatsinks cut it?

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

really vrm heatsinks arent anything crazy, note that only really high end cards with factory OC's even have them, any old stick on heatsinks will do so long as they cover all the vrms and have some sort of airflow over them

Cool thanks.

What's the overall opinion on universal waterblocks? Obviously they aren't as aesthetically pleasing, but other than that?

1 minute ago, Nertballs said:

Cool thanks.

What's the overall opinion on universal waterblocks? Obviously they aren't as aesthetically pleasing, but other than that?

If youre bothering with water cooling at all, you should be buying a high end card that actually needs it for its full potential, and you should be buying full water blocks. If your 780ti is performing fine as is on its current cooler, and youre just waiting to upgrade, dont even bother. When the new gen of cards comes out and you get one, then get the water block made for it or the water cooled version from the factory.

Theres just really no point in it, universal waterblocks are really just the quick and dirty way to get a water cooled GPU.

If you are that set on cooling the card, why not get a full block?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

If you are that set on cooling the card, why not get a full block?

It's pretty hard to get a full block 780 Ti cooler atm. Plus I'll be upgrading it within the year, so think I'll just wait it out. 

36 minutes ago, Nertballs said:

It's pretty hard to get a full block 780 Ti cooler atm. Plus I'll be upgrading it within the year, so think I'll just wait it out. 

Still a few on eBay floating around. If you were to set on upgrading why did you even consider water cooling it?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Still a few on eBay floating around. If you were to set on upgrading why did you even consider water cooling it?

Because this upgrade will be approx. 6 months to a year down the line, so I was seeing if getting a universal block, which could be used on both, would be worthwhile. But I think I'll just wait until the new card to go for a watercooled GPU.