Corrupt .MP4 File

Hi All,

Recently I was doing some video recording of a live event. I decided to do live editing while streaming and recording. Unfortunately an audio driver bugged out when I unplugged some head phones (Yay Windows 10) and caused my PC to reboot. I was using Wirecast when this happened and when the crash happened the file it was recording to became corrupted. Is there any at home way to fix this? If not any recommendations for a company that does this?

If this happens to be in the wrong category please let me know the correct place for this.

1 hour ago, gutz00 said:

Hi All,

Recently I was doing some video recording of a live event. I decided to do live editing while streaming and recording. Unfortunately an audio driver bugged out when I unplugged some head phones (Yay Windows 10) and caused my PC to reboot. I was using Wirecast when this happened and when the crash happened the file it was recording to became corrupted. Is there any at home way to fix this? If not any recommendations for a company that does this?

Its the right category.

Maybe this will help you.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/repair-corrupt-video-file-vlc-media-player/

What happens if you try to play it back?

You could also try to do a stream copy with ffmpeg.

21 hours ago, .spider. said:

What happens if you try to play it back?

You could also try to do a stream copy with ffmpeg.

This is what happens

Capture.PNG

• 1 year later...

Hey guts00,

Have you had the chance to recover that video?

I just got a similar issue, would appreciate your help.  

So step 1 is download a hex editor.

Step 2 make a new recording using the same settings.

Step 3 open the new recording in the hex editor of your choice.

Step 4 open the currupt file

Step 5 look at the header data this should be the first chunk of data but it could also be at the verry end of the doc.

Step 6 if you can not find it in the currupt video make a copy of the file.

Step7 copy and paste the header data into the curupt one.  You may need to play around with some of the data if its been hardcoded into the header such as run time.

Here is a link to help with understanding mp4 header data.Mp4 file recovery link.

so just cause i was in a rush when I made the last post and feel like I should expand some,  This may not fix your problem you did have a power down mid record lots of different things could be wrong with your MP4 but the header and tail/end of the MP4 are really the only things you can fix.  if any actual recorded video is corrupt its just not going to be recoverable there are some other software options out there that can take care of some issues that are not easy to catch like mixed up file length info or color space errors but they are spotty and the one company i looked into is kinda iffy.