Japanese/Korean/Chinese characters shown as squares/blocks

Seravi

my computer (windows 7) is not showing japanese/korean/chinese characters/alphabets(?) correctly, instead it is showing it as squares/blocks. i'm not really a tech savvy person so i don't know how to fix it

i've already tried the 'change locale settings' trick, but it didn't work, also i've downloaded and updated the mui language pack, but it didn't work too. i've attached some images to let you see what it looks like

error font.png

error font2.png

error font3.png

error font4.png

8 minutes ago, Seravi said:

~snip~

Based on the appearance of your system are you using Stardock ObjectDesktop or some other theming engine? Do you have a custom system font set, because that would be messing with these characters if your system font doesn't support them.

43 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Based on the appearance of your system are you using Stardock ObjectDesktop or some other theming engine? Do you have a custom system font set, because that would be messing with these characters if your system font doesn't support them.

so i contacted the person who 'repaired' my cpu unit (as i've said, i'm not really a tech savvy person, and my older cpu unit got busted so he replaced it with my current cpu unit) and he said that the cpu unit doesn't support these kinds of characters, is there any way for it to be supportable? i've asked him already but asking it here too just in case

9 minutes ago, Seravi said:

so i contacted the person who 'repaired' my cpu unit (my older cpu unit got busted so he replaced it my current cpu unit) and he said that the cpu unit doesn't support these kinds of characters, is there any way for it to be supportable? i've asked him already but asking it here too just in case

There's no specific hardware support needed to use different character sets with Windows so be a little cautious of what that person is telling you.

I would strongly suggest, just for troubleshooting, to switch back to the default Windows Aero theme in the "personalize" settings (right click desktop > personalize) and then reboot your machine. If that fixes it then it's likely an issue with the specific font your current windows theme is using.

2 minutes ago, Seravi said:

thanks for this but sadly it didn't work :(

Specifically for chrome you can also use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/advanced-font-settings/caclkomlalccbpcdllchkeecicepbmbm which is the official advanced font settings extension for setting fonts on a per language basis. This would allow you to use a different font with the rest of Windows that doesn't support japanese characters, just note that this extension would only fix it specifically for chrome.

6 minutes ago, Seravi said:

so i contacted the person who 'repaired' my cpu unit (my older cpu unit got busted so he replaced it my current cpu unit) and he said that the cpu unit doesn't support these kinds of characters, is there any way for it to be supportable? i've asked him already but asking it here too just in case

That's the stupidest thing I've heard, you just need the character pack for your font, you had to do this back in the wondows XP days when it wasn't standard, and get yourself a new repair man, he doesn't know what he's talking about.