Need help regarding partitioning.

Well, I made a boo boo after building my PC.... I forgot to make partitions in my HDD .... So, my question is, Is there any way to do partitions now, I have a lot of data in the hard drive, so I am scared...

Please do let me know...

Why do you need to make partitions...

Literally just use folders in windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That is a way.. but making partitions is better in the long run ...

Because if any system is affected by malware/virus, it attacks the C:// drive first and getting data out of a malware/virus infested drive is a lot of pain, and in my case the entire drive is C:// so I will be pretty much screwed....

2 minutes ago, Jai Nagle said:

That is a way.. but making partitions is better in the long run ...

Because if any system is affected by malware/virus, it attacks the C:// drive first and getting data out of a malware/virus infested drive is a lot of pain, and in my case the entire drive is C:// so I will be pretty much screwed....

1) Making different partitions is not the same as having separate drivers.

2) Use the quote button to reply to people.

|

V

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

|

V

I know that... But I had spoken to a few tech support people before regarding my laptop and stuff, and they recommended to have partitions...

1 minute ago, Jai Nagle said:

I know that... But I had spoken to a few tech support people before regarding my laptop and stuff, and they recommended to have partitions...

Well unless it's a really crappy malware/worm/virus it's gonna affect all drives

By making partitions you might run into issues in the long run, for example you filled up your D drive but still have lot of unused space in C, or vice versa (The latter being worse) and you won't be able to reallocate space from one drive to another

9 minutes ago, Jai Nagle said:

Uh, no, just ignore them.

If you want to make stuff easier for clean installing windows then you need to have a separate drive, not separate partitions.

When you clean install you should be deleting all the partitions on the drive, so having separate ones isn't going to help you "save your data" or anything.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Well unless it's a really crappy malware/worm/virus it's gonna affect all drives

By making partitions you might run into issues in the long run, for example you filled up your D drive but still have lot of unused space in C, or vice versa (The latter being worse) and you won't be able to reallocate space from one drive to another

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

|

V

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why do you need to make partitions...

Literally just use folders in windows.

Well... ok thanks for your help both of you... Also another question does having more files, folders on the desktop affect anything (performance wise) ??

5 minutes ago, Jai Nagle said:

Well... ok thanks for your help both of you... Also another question does having more files, folders on the desktop affect anything (performance wise) ??

I assume that it might affect loading the desktop initially as it needs to load all the thumbnails/icons (Shouldn't be a lot though)

Just try to keep things looking clean 

44 minutes ago, Jai Nagle said:

Well, I made a boo boo after building my PC.... I forgot to make partitions in my HDD .... So, my question is, Is there any way to do partitions now, I have a lot of data in the hard drive, so I am scared...

Please do let me know...

Generally speaking, I agree with the other posters that it will not help you much in terms of security to have separate partitions. But to answer your original question, it is possible to resize existing partitions. I like this free tool to do the job if you're still interested in doing it:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Just be careful if you do that you don't accidentally delete something important -- it always helps to have a back up copy of your data.  Hope this helps.