w540 and upgrade or lenovo 720s

so i recently acquired a lenovo w540 for 300$, its pretty awesome quad core i7 @ 3.7ghz, 16gb of ram, k2100 gpu, 1080p ips screen, cool security features and the rugged body its able to handle just about everything i do. so far i like it. but its heavy, i mean massive granted every millimeter of this laptop is quality but that doesn't help my back. 

i recently found out about the lenovo 720s its an "idea pad" and not in the line i usually buy from (i owned quite a few think pads) but at less then half the weight with similar performance and (from what i can tell) similar battery life its tempting to look over at this lower end laptop and wonder "would i be better off with this tiny guy?"

the other thing is with the thinkpad i would be saving a bit of money, around 300$ once upgrades are done if i stuck with the w540 (comparing to the r5 2500u model)

on paper the specs should be comparable at least cpu wise but i have a feeling that the vega graphics are going to crush the k2100 in gaming performance. 

i will mostly use the laptop for school, but i need it to be able to handle 

A light video editing (not really a question for either but the w540 will do better)

B easy to run games such as WOW or similar titles.

i really am having a hard time getting over the idea of not using a thinkpad or similar class product.

any recommendations would be great.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Keep the Thinkpad nicely and do some upgrades. Also do a repaste

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

18 hours ago, Pandora said:

so i recently acquired a lenovo w540 for 300$, its pretty awesome quad core i7 @ 3.7ghz, 16gb of ram, k2100 gpu, 1080p ips screen, cool security features and the rugged body its able to handle just about everything i do. so far i like it. but its heavy, i mean massive granted every millimeter of this laptop is quality but that doesn't help my back. 

i recently found out about the lenovo 720s its an "idea pad" and not in the line i usually buy from (i owned quite a few think pads) but at less then half the weight with similar performance and (from what i can tell) similar battery life its tempting to look over at this lower end laptop and wonder "would i be better off with this tiny guy?"

the other thing is with the thinkpad i would be saving a bit of money, around 300$ once upgrades are done if i stuck with the w540 (comparing to the r5 2500u model)

on paper the specs should be comparable at least cpu wise but i have a feeling that the vega graphics are going to crush the k2100 in gaming performance. 

i will mostly use the laptop for school, but i need it to be able to handle 

A light video editing (not really a question for either but the w540 will do better)

B easy to run games such as WOW or similar titles.

i really am having a hard time getting over the idea of not using a thinkpad or similar class product.

any recommendations would be great.

The vega 8 is actually a bit worse than the k2100m according to notebookcheck, also you could flash a new vbios onto the k2100m and get a MASSIVE performance increase, though I would suggest repasting like @ZM Fong said before flashing. You could probably get an extra 25% performance boost from flashing.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

8 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

The vega 8 is actually a bit worse than the k2100m according to notebookcheck, also you could flash a new vbios onto the k2100m and get a MASSIVE performance increase, though I would suggest repasting like @ZM Fong said before flashing. You could probably get an extra 25% performance boost from flashing.

ooh, mind giving me a link to find some information about that flashing?

the only bios for the card i can find is for an hp laptop it seems.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss