File Server

Hi, I have 2 Dell PowerEdge R310 Servers with 2TB of storage each. I was looking for a way to make it into a file hosting server like Linus has (the one with tons of folders about videos and such). Is there a way I can do that?

24 minutes ago, kingdiamond4545 said:

Hi, I have 2 Dell PowerEdge R310 Servers with 2TB of storage each. I was looking for a way to make it into a file hosting server like Linus has (the one with tons of folders about videos and such). Is there a way I can do that?

FreeNAS?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Yes. Pick a server OS and setup the necessary storage config & networking protocols.

I like FreeNAS but there's lots of other options.

Million ways to skin this cat. What level of difficulty are you comfortable with (or how much time do you have to learn)?

You could do something really cool with GlusterFS - shoot for high availability and redundancy. 

You could do something just a fraction easier and cluster them with Windows Storage spaces to also have high availability and redundancy.

You could do something middle of the road - install FreeNAS on one, and convert the other to a disk shelf with a HBA card to feed FreeNAS more disks.

You could do something little bit easy, little bit middle of the road - move all the storage to 1 - install FreeNAS. Insert a USB drive into #2 and install whatever hypervisor you want - and mount storage from the FreeNAS.

Do something yet even easier... install windows server on both and use DFS.

Do something dead simple... install windows 10 on one, create a file share. Use the other as a lab.

idk, I could keep going but I feel like this is long enough lol.