Gaming CPU Needed

I'm looking into upgrading my computer from my current Intel 4790k, 32 gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram to possibly either a AMD Ryzen 2700x or a Intel 8700k. 

I'm looking to upgrade since I'm running into issues with my current motherboard and I think I rather upgrade instead of paying an over priced z97 board. 

I mostly use my computer for gaming and online browsing. 

1 minute ago, Holmes2468 said:

I'm looking into upgrading my computer from my current Intel 4790k, 32 gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram to possibly either a AMD Ryzen 2700x or a Intel 8700k. 

I'm looking to upgrade since I'm running into issues with my current motherboard and I think I rather upgrade instead of paying an over priced z97 board. 

Honestly, despite the fact I love AMD you would be better served with an Intel processor in this situation. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I kinda figured that would be the case. 

Do you think the limited edition 8086k is worth the extra money?

5 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

I kinda figured that would be the case. 

Do you think the limited edition 8086k is worth the extra money?

No it's basically just an overclocked 8700k

On 6/12/2018 at 12:25 PM, Canada EH said:

Sorry, I would rather buy new. I don't want to buy someone else's problems. 

Thank you though

On 6/12/2018 at 12:30 PM, wirs said:

No it's basically just an overclocked 8700k

Would the i5 8600k be better suited or should I stick with the i7 8700k?

Would it be best to get a AIO lquid cooler or get a fan heatsink with the i7?

On 6/12/2018 at 12:37 PM, Canada EH said:

Gaming is Intel

What about if I'm gaming with a res of 3440x1440 and a gtx 1080?

On 12/06/2018 at 1:19 PM, Holmes2468 said:

what kind of problems are we talking about here?!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

what kind of problems are we talking about here?!

When I install a soundcard, or any other addon card, the MB doesn't see it. All I have currently installed is a Hyperx m.2, GTX 1080 gpu and a wifi card installed. 

Just now, Holmes2468 said:

When I install a soundcard, or any other addon card, the MB doesn't see it. All I have currently installed is a Hyperx m.2, GTX 1080 gpu and a wifi card installed. 

you have to install drivers for these addon cards right...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

you have to install drivers for these addon cards right...

Yes, I had tried installing the drivers. The Creative Labs software cannot see the card. When I install it on a few other computers, the software sees the card perfectly find. 

Yes, I had tried installing the drivers. The Creative Labs software cannot see the card. When I install it on a few other computers, the software sees the card perfectly find. 

what motherboard do you have?

I've done this all and called ASUS. the MB is out of warranty

59 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I've done it all and called ASUS. They told me they can't really do much since its out of Warranty. 

I've done this all and called ASUS. the MB is out of warranty

I've done it all and called ASUS. They told me they can't really do much since its out of Warranty. 

it's not a problem with the board physically though...it's VERY likely just a settings/configuration issue as to why the board can't use the cards...

probably. I think I'm just going to send back the sound blaster AE-5 :(

this board you have has GREAT onboard audio though...unless you use very high end proffesional audio devices i doubt you'd see any difference...at least with a standard sub 500$ pair of headphones...

If you do need more, like audio imputs for guitars or keyboards for example then i would highly recommend you get a good USB audio interface instead...

I use this product here...and it's flawless...and it won't break the bank...much cheaper than a new CPU/board/ram combo...especially considering that your CPU and board are REALLY nice...and very powerful:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/discontinued_hardware/ur22.html

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

this board you have has GREAT onboard audio though...unless you use very high end proffesional audio devices i doubt you'd see any difference...at least with a standard sub 500$ pair of headphones...

If you do need more, like audio imputs for guitars or keyboards for example then i would highly recommend you get a good USB audio interface instead...

I use this product here...and it's flawless...and it won't break the bank...much cheaper than a new CPU/board/ram combo...especially considering that your CPU and board are REALLY nice...and very powerful:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/discontinued_hardware/ur22.html

Tank you. Any recommendations to improve the older 4790k? my ram is a cas9 1600 mhz  and I'm running a coolermaster master air maker 5. I was also thinking of upgrading the 512gb HyperX m.2 to a newer Samsung Evo 970 1tb as well

The other issue is that windows keeps telling me that my CPU temp is at 94c when I first start my computer. when I check, its idling around 34c. 

videos and forums all point to 8700k for games, it eeks out a bit better on games. But for streaming and rendering etc the amd is better. Also the amd likes fast ram, so the faster the better, which is more money. 

i havent put the stock air cooler on this thing yet, but seeing my temps under load with a aio, i think a air cooler with a OC wouldnt ge so great. Granted i do have a rather strong OC, well when i load into it. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

34 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

Tank you. Any recommendations to improve the older 4790k? my ram is a cas9 1600 mhz  and I'm running a coolermaster master air maker 5. I was also thinking of upgrading the 512gb HyperX m.2 to a newer Samsung Evo 970 1tb as well

The other issue is that windows keeps telling me that my CPU temp is at 94c when I first start my computer. when I check, its idling around 34c. 

your RAM is fine...you could overclock the CPU a bit if your temps are good...make sure the cooler is properly mounted etc...run stress test and monitor temps...

keep your M.2 and if you need more storage then yes a 1TB sata3 SSD would be a good addition.

That ''gaming'' sound card is a stupid product though BTW"...games audio files are generally low fidelity low quality compressed audio files...cards like this used to make sense back when motherboards had very poor audio solutions onboard...nowadays they have generally great audio chips...ppl who would want a sound card like this would be an audiophile person that does not need to record his own instruments and would listen to uncompressed flac audio files for example...blue ray movie...things like that...and those ppl will not want the gaming RGB product...this product was made to make money, but it does not make sense in the first place.

Now don't get me wrong...if you use high end high fidelity headphones there will be a small improvement over a modern onbard audio chip, but nothing to write home about mostly due to he quality of the audio files within games.

And like i said, if you want epic audio...AND the possibiltity to record microphone and instruments look for a USB audio interface instead...it's much better these days and it's also cheaper...and more reliable.

So yeah, if you can return the audio card, i would do so personally...it's a bad product that shouldnt even exist IMHO.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:50 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

your RAM is fine...you could overclock the CPU a bit if your temps are good...make sure the cooler is properly mounted etc...run stress test and monitor temps...

keep your M.2 and if you need more storage then yes a 1TB sata3 SSD would be a good addition.

That ''gaming'' sound card is a stupid product though BTW"...games audio files are generally low fidelity low quality compressed audio files...cards like this used to make sense back when motherboards had very poor audio solutions onboard...nowadays they have generally great audio chips...ppl who would want a sound card like this would be an audiophile person that does not need to record his own instruments and would listen to uncompressed flac audio files for example...blue ray movie...things like that...and those ppl will not want the gaming RGB product...this product was made to make money, but it does not make sense in the first place.

Now don't get me wrong...if you use high end high fidelity headphones there will be a small improvement over a modern onbard audio chip, but nothing to write home about mostly due to he quality of the audio files within games.

And like i said, if you want epic audio...AND the possibiltity to record microphone and instruments look for a USB audio interface instead...it's much better these days and it's also cheaper...and more reliable.

So yeah, if you can return the audio card, i would do so personally...it's a bad product that shouldnt even exist IMHO.

I was wanting the sound card for music and watching content to its best sound quality. Personally, I think the onboard audio is just complete trash. I had used USB DACs and I found them to be complete wast of money in the past. They sometimes worked and other times they didn't. As for headphones, the sound blaster Z card I had really improved the audio from my Klipsch pro media speakers. 

The m.2, yeah, I ran out of memory on my 512gb Hyper X. Still in good shape though. I will most likely use it in the extra m.2 slot when I upgrade to intel's 8 core mainstream, when it comes out.

Overclocking, I did get my CPU up to 4.8 ghz. I returned it to stock since at the time, I locked my CPU at 4.5ghz with the Intel overclock. 

The cooler, I'm rocking a Coolermaster Master Air and its not doing as well as I hope it would. I'm currently looking at replacing it  and debating on a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF, or a AIO Liquid cooler. I don't know if I want to use a Corsair AIO or a Coolermaster AIO since I have a Coolermaster maker 5 case.