OpenVPN

Hello everyone,

I have been trying my luck at setting up OpenVPN on a Windows Server, but have failed thus far. I think I managed to set up the server part, but had a lot of trouble getting the client side to work. I think the fault was in the config file which I then wouldn't use with the client. 

I used this guide and was okay on the server side (I think), but he uses a mac for a client and I have a windows computer.

Could anyone help me setting up the config file so I can connect to the server? I am unsure which files I need to move to the client PC.

Thanks in advance!

do you have any error code?

Check firewall. it maybe block the connection.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I tried making the exception for their port in the firewall, but I might not have done it right. I actually deleted everything out of frustration so I would have to do it over (probably a good thing).

This is the error code it gave me from the client:

Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --cert fails with 'client.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Mon Jun 04 17:15:16 2018 WARNING: cannot stat file 'client.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --key fails with 'client.key'
Mon Jun 04 17:15:16 2018 WARNING: cannot stat file 'ta.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --tls-auth fails with 'ta.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: Please correct these errors.
Use --help for more information.

5 hours ago, mascen said:

You need to create a server certificate and a client certificate. The warnings are showing that that there is client and server certificate.

You also need to create a certificate authority.

I recommend getting a Raspberry Pi 3 and installing PiVPN. I'm using mine as a backup to my main VPN. 

Follw this guide. 

http://www.pivpn.io

If you need help send me a message 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I did create those as per the guide I linked, but I still just got that error. I don’t know if I failed to put it in the right place or failed to add the right directory to the .cert files. 

Windows’ own VPN is starting to look really intriguing for its ease of use, but I can’t skimp on security in this case as the files I need to access are very important and confidential. Is the windows VPN as safe as OpenVPN and if not, is it safe enough? I will only have 4-5 clients on it and they all work at the same place. I just want to make sure I’m not opening up our server to the wrong people.