Remote management program suggestions

buri

Hi, just turned my pc to a NAS and at the moment, i am running plex media server and uttorent on it. 

I am connecting to the NAS via teamviewer. Its a good application however with some drawbacks for my needs. I would like to organize my files, create folders via my android phone. Teamviewer file transfer cant even create folders, its very simple. For file management, what is the best remote option? FTP? 

Also any android app suggestions where i can add and manage torrents via my phone to the home computer?

tia

Reinstall the os as openmediavault. It's super simple, and you can manage it from a browser. Then you can make a shared folder available to smb and ftp, so your phone has direct access to it. 

Install transmission, then install a remote on your phone and every other computer. That way your server does the downloading, but any device can see what's running and manage them easily. You can also port forward the default 9091 and manage from anywhere, even outside your network. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

By reading your description you need ftp software, but your title is for remote management

Both are 2 different things, while some software can create and manage files between network but it wasn't intended for that purpose.

If you need ftp software any free software can do what you want, but for simple and better management file, I suggest es file explorer pro, there is free version but it's bloated with junks.

1 hour ago, Ginger_ said:

Reinstall the os as openmediavault. It's super simple, and you can manage it from a browser. Then you can make a shared folder available to smb and ftp, so your phone has direct access to it. 

Install transmission, then install a remote on your phone and every other computer. That way your server does the downloading, but any device can see what's running and manage them easily. You can also port forward the default 9091 and manage from anywhere, even outside your network. 

one thing i forgot to mention was i am running w10 and i need to run because my wife needs to use this computer as well.

1 hour ago, Blebekblebek said:

By reading your description you need ftp software, but your title is for remote management

Both are 2 different things, while some software can create and manage files between network but it wasn't intended for that purpose.

If you need ftp software any free software can do what you want, but for simple and better management file, I suggest es file explorer pro, there is free version but it's bloated with junks.

i was using filezilla server before and its working good however is it safe?

25 minutes ago, buri said:

one thing i forgot to mention was i am running w10 and i need to run because my wife needs to use this computer as well.

In that case you can just set up your shared folders with smb, and use es file manager on your phone, or an iPhone equivalent. Easy access and management through that. 

I'm pretty sure transmission has a windows version, so try that and enable remote access to it. Just make sure to add authentication because there's been some exploits to it recently, but only if you don't have a username/password added 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

21 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

In that case you can just set up your shared folders with smb, and use es file manager on your phone, or an iPhone equivalent. Easy access and management through that. 

I'm pretty sure transmission has a windows version, so try that and enable remote access to it. Just make sure to add authentication because there's been some exploits to it recently, but only if you don't have a username/password added 

"In that case you can just set up your shared folders with smb" 

how to do that? folders are already shared in w10 to the administrator. I will check in the internet at the same time

7 minutes ago, buri said:

"In that case you can just set up your shared folders with smb" 

how to do that? folders are already shared in w10 to the administrator. I will check in the internet at the same time

I've only ever done it from Linux, but this seems to cover it for windows. Just scroll down to the file explorer part 

https://www.teamknowhow.com/kit-guide/computing/laptops/dell/inspiron-13-5000/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10

1 hour ago, Ginger_ said:

I've only ever done it from Linux, but this seems to cover it for windows. Just scroll down to the file explorer part 

https://www.teamknowhow.com/kit-guide/computing/laptops/dell/inspiron-13-5000/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10

this i already did and within the network its working. question is " how to access it outside my network from my android phone" . most likely with a app like ES FILE EXPLORER however i couldnt connect to my shared folder when i tried it 

You don't need special server software, I'm pretty sure Microsoft has a FTP server.. buuut.. that is probably not what you want. You probably want SSH (and thus SCP and SFTP)

Seems Windows joined the rest of the world and included an SSH server by default now.. (Hea only took them ~20 years to catch on.. not bad for Microsoft)

https://poweruser.blog/enabling-the-hidden-openssh-server-in-windows-10-fall-creators-update-1709-and-why-its-great-51c9d06db8df

Divorce is always an option too if you need a good OS...

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

1 hour ago, buri said:

this i already did and within the network its working. question is " how to access it outside my network from my android phone" . most likely with a app like ES FILE EXPLORER however i couldnt connect to my shared folder when i tried it 

Most ISP's block SMB/CIFS.. and for good reason, It's not meant to run on the internet is an extremely dangerous protocol sometimes exposing your entire registry to the internet. And... even if it did work, it probably wouldn't work well, it isn't designed for high latency links.

SSH and potentially Rsync, that is what you want.. or you want some kind of filesystem sync program like syncthing.

Teamviewer gives you direct access to the desktop, just use it like a computer instead of using the file manager.

File/Folder manipulation via a phone seems like a PITA honestly. I'd have to agree, getting in via SSH and just using commands would be much simpler. Really there's maybe 5 commands you'd ever use with what you want to do... God if you had the tab key it would be extremely simple to do from a phone.

CD                      Change directory... I.E. CD C:\windows

DIR or LS           Lists files/folders in the directory

CP                      Copy...

MV                      Move

MKDIR                Make Directory

Apparently MS has a SSH server in Windows 10 now. (bout time) It's hidden though. I wonder if you could get a bash shell up on that instead of having to use dos syntax.. hmm.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:50 PM, buri said:

Hi, just turned my pc to a NAS and at the moment, i am running plex media server and uttorent on it. 

I am connecting to the NAS via teamviewer. Its a good application however with some drawbacks for my needs. I would like to organize my files, create folders via my android phone. Teamviewer file transfer cant even create folders, its very simple. For file management, what is the best remote option? FTP? 

Also any android app suggestions where i can add and manage torrents via my phone to the home computer?

tia

SSH and Powershell for everything really...

Heck, setup an azure account and just use a file system connector.

Now you can just connect to a cloud based management console for any web browser.

Then you can start to automate things... then you can call yourself a cloud engineer, with actually being a cloud engineer.

On 6/15/2018 at 12:54 AM, Mikensan said:

Teamviewer gives you direct access to the desktop, just use it like a computer instead of using the file manager.

File/Folder manipulation via a phone seems like a PITA honestly. I'd have to agree, getting in via SSH and just using commands would be much simpler. Really there's maybe 5 commands you'd ever use with what you want to do... God if you had the tab key it would be extremely simple to do from a phone.

CD                      Change directory... I.E. CD C:\windows

DIR or LS           Lists files/folders in the directory

CP                      Copy...

MV                      Move

MKDIR                Make Directory

only problem with this technic is writing long directory names i guess if there is no copy/paste option from the phone

anyways i found out a VPN service called ZeroTier, installed the app both devices, PC and mobile, connected to the network, authorized both devices and i can see the shared folders in ES Explorer app in my android. 

FTPS with filezilla server would work as well i think

19 hours ago, buri said:

only problem with this technic is writing long directory names i guess if there is no copy/paste option from the phone

You can copy and paste, just not "tab". Haven't had an issue copy/paste yet.

19 hours ago, buri said:

anyways i found out a VPN service called ZeroTier, installed the app both devices, PC and mobile, connected to the network, authorized both devices and i can see the shared folders in ES Explorer app in my android. 

FTPS with filezilla server would work as well i think

I would look at using SCP over SSH - it will behave like FTP. Lot of options anyway. Glad you found a solution.

Just to add, one of the annoying issues with FTP is opening all those PASV / passive ports. Not hard, just annoying. If you go those route, at least change it from the default port so automatic bots don't go knocking on your FTP door.