Internet help

So at home I have gigabit fiber and a gigabit capable router. But when I download anything I can only get about 350Mb/s per second (over Ethernet cable). I ran a speed test on my desktop and got 350Mb/s, then I started the same speed test on two desktops at the same time and they both got about 300Mb/s. Then I transfered a 20 gigabyte video file from computer A to computer B. And I got the full gigabit transfer speeds. So I don't know what the hell is going on, any help?

The router is the ASUS RT-AC68U

The gigabit speeds that your ISP says you are getting is always a best case scenario, but when a lot of people in your neighbourhood are using the internet all at the same time your speeds will slow. Also moving a file from computer A to computer B is within your home network. Home networks will run at full gigabit speed as long as all components are gigabit capable.

call your isp

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

7 hours ago, Anthony_met said:

So at home I have gigabit fiber and a gigabit capable router. But when I download anything I can only get about 350Mb/s per second (over Ethernet cable). I ran a speed test on my desktop and got 350Mb/s, then I started the same speed test on two desktops at the same time and they both got about 300Mb/s. Then I transfered a 20 gigabyte video file from computer A to computer B. And I got the full gigabit transfer speeds. So I don't know what the hell is going on, any help?

The router is the ASUS RT-AC68U

One possibility is the hardware in the router is not strong enough to do Gigabit internet. Generally the way to test this is to hook your computer directly to the modem and do a speed test. If you get full speed then its the router if not then its an ISP issue. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 10/06/2018 at 12:54 AM, Donut417 said:

One possibility is the hardware in the router is not strong enough to do Gigabit internet. Generally the way to test this is to hook your computer directly to the modem and do a speed test. If you get full speed then its the router if not then its an ISP issue. 

I did this and I got the same speed. So it seems like it's the ISP. But this is the second ISP we have had gigabit with and we have had the same issue with both, so it might not be.