Virtual Gaming Server

Hi, everyone!

I'm a newbie to PC building, and I had an idea to float.

As I was watching X Gamers, 1 CPU, I wanted to achieve the same thing but on a more virtual route, as a Gaming Server. 

So, I imagine having 4 different Win10 instances running independently with Steam, Launchbox, etc. using Parsec, and being able to play games from anywhere in my house, and my roommates could either join my server, or be independent with their own server to play their own games.

I'd love to see how I can make this a reality in my house, I just don't know what I could do to get started or how much I'd need.

Thank you all!

Um,dang I have no idea on how to build a server let me check out LTT

Oh here's an idea in Johannesburg theres a ton of VR studios running GTX 1060s and 1070s for VR environments so how about you build 2 VR ready PCs and 4 core i7 PCs with steam installed as well as nvidias Geforce experience or whatever software to stream gaming to your mobile device that has steam installed and you're all set

Sorry forgot to mention buying VR headsets

it sounds like youre wanting to host 4 separate servers from a single host at once, allowing you and your friends to jump between servers to always have the choice to play together, correct?

If so, what kind of games are you talking about here?

im not sure if i understood what you want to do.

you want to host multiple game servers in individual windows VM´s, this is pretty standard but not even required as you could also run multiple game servers in one single windows VM.

now i dont understand how this would enable you to play from anywhere in the house, these are game servers that you connect to from another PC, all the server does is manage connections from players and keep everything in sync while maybe doing some AI calculations depending on the game.

Have you seen the program Parsec?

I'm basing VMs connections through Parsec, so the low latency will enable to play emulated games (from NES up to and including WiiU), while also playing some Steam Games (Rocket League, Overwatch, etc.) On the couch. 

As an example, let's say I build this and I'm in the living room playing Mario Kart from my VM using Parsec. 

My 1st Roomate wants to play GTA V, so he goes into his room, opens Parsec, and connects to his VM and opens up the game.

My 2nd Roomate wants to play Mario Kart with me, but he is sick and wants to do it in his room, so, he opens up Parsec, connects to my VM and plays 2 player Mario Kart in 2 different rooms one server.

Setting up that kind of service seems easy on paper, but building it would be a task.

4 different VMs handling gaming (one of them a "special case" because I really would like to try multi room gaming with consoles I'm not able to emulate at the moment, i.e. Xbox One, PS4, and Nintendo Switch)

I can draw it out and post it here if it helps to understand. 

Thanks!

I don't see the point of doing this. Each VM needs its own gpu and Parsec needs a monitor or monitor simulator connected to the gpu. So there really isn't any cost saving. Performance cannot be better than using a local machine. Networks involve significant latency, it can be minimized but not eliminated. As an exercise it might be fun. But it doesn't strike me as a cost effective project.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.