Seagate return policy : Is it even legal?

Go to solution Solved by iRileyx,

1) That's nothing out of the ordinary, a lot of companies have you pay for returns shipping.

2) That's for if it does actually go missing, and you try to tell them it's gone missing but can't prove it because it wasnt a tracked service.

3) Only applies to the replacements part, meaning if you get sent a replacement, you don't receive the original part back with it. If they dont send a replacement(which they should because you have to choose the replacement option for it to even apply) you can still get back the one you sent in.

I don't see why you're annoyed by any of that, though? Pretty standard returns policy honestly.

So... I bought a hard drive from Amazon about 6 months ago and it began to fail. I searched for a way to claim my 3 years warranty and I fall on this page:
https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/warranty-and-replacements/return-policy/

Here are the lines that annoy me :

• You must pay shipping costs for all shipments from you to us.
  • Send your product to Seagate using the carrier of your choice. Please use a method with ability to trace shipment. Seagate is not responsible for shipments for which the carrier cannot provide proof of delivery.
  • Your original product will NOT be returned to you.

First, not only do you need to pay a third party to have service from them, they force you to pay extra to your carrier for a tracking number. Then, if they decide your warranty is not applicable, you will never get your hard drive back, nor the money you spent to buy it.

I guess they are pretty straight forward in the policy, but the fact is : They may keep your defective hard drive no matter if send you a new one or not! So, depending of the nature and the origin of the damage, you may end up paying to send them something without even being sure if they will replace it. Moreover, you also pay for import fees and all applicable duties when/if they send you a new hard drive.

I'm curious, what do you think? For me, it's clear, until I get a CRAZY deal or they change their return policy, I'm never gonna buy a seagate product again.

Dear diary: Today was not tomorrow and not yesterday, which I think is nice...

//Overengineering example:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  string s = "Hello World";
  for (int i = 0; i < s.length(); ++i)
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

1) That's nothing out of the ordinary, a lot of companies have you pay for returns shipping.

2) That's for if it does actually go missing, and you try to tell them it's gone missing but can't prove it because it wasnt a tracked service.

3) Only applies to the replacements part, meaning if you get sent a replacement, you don't receive the original part back with it. If they dont send a replacement(which they should because you have to choose the replacement option for it to even apply) you can still get back the one you sent in.

I don't see why you're annoyed by any of that, though? Pretty standard returns policy honestly.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

6 minutes ago, Sirmyself said:

You must pay shipping costs for all shipments from you to us.

- If your product is under warranty, Seagate will pay for postage of replacement products from Seagate to you. You must pay all applicable duties and customs charges for shipments to and from Seagate, unless otherwise authorized.

7 minutes ago, Sirmyself said:

Send your product to Seagate using the carrier of your choice. Please use a method with ability to trace shipment. Seagate is not responsible for shipments for which the carrier cannot provide proof of delivery.

- Seagate is not responsible for loss or damage during transit. We suggest that you purchase freight insurance on your shipments.

Also to save your butt if something goes wrong during shipping. 

7 minutes ago, Sirmyself said:

Your original product will NOT be returned to you.

That's under replacement notice which is typical if that route is chosen for a warranty claim. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

In the United States, an unsolicited package or any package sent to someone becomes the owner of the recipient. So, yes... it is legal for them to keep anything you send to them.

However, if you enter into an RMA agreement and that clause is not listed and they keep it anyway then you could argue breach of contract but there is a long standing precedent for hard-drives when you send them back, you either get a replacement or not. If there is no warranty then you should be able to pay for shipping for the item to be returned to you - technically you're entering into a contract for a repair or warranty service so if they refuse to send you your item back ( even if it is at your expense ) then you may have a valid argument there.