7.1 on studio headphones?

PinnySkenis

So the Asus Strix Soar is a pcie sound card that delivers 7.1 surround sound and is also a 600 ohm headphone amp. So if I plugged in a pair of beyerdynamic 600 ohm headphones, will I be able to have 7.1 come through as well?

If the headphones aren't advertised as 7.1 I'm 99.9% sure it won't work as 7.1. That's not to say you won't get better directional sound though, and directional sound on stereo speakers can still be pretty amazing. I'd wait for someone else who knows more to say something here since I'm not really an audiophile expert, but if no one else says anything you should at least have this 

6 minutes ago, isaac22701 said:

If the headphones aren't advertised as 7.1 I'm 99.9% sure it won't work as 7.1. That's not to say you won't get better directional sound though, and directional sound on stereo speakers can still be pretty amazing. I'd wait for someone else who knows more to say something here since I'm not really an audiophile expert, but if no one else says anything you should at least have this 

7.1 is just virtual you could do it with software 

Just now, FBI said:

Alright then ignore everything I said

2 hours ago, FBI said:

ok then...

5 hours ago, ThiccSon said:

So the Asus Strix Soar is a pcie sound card that delivers 7.1 surround sound and is also a 600 ohm headphone amp. So if I plugged in a pair of beyerdynamic 600 ohm headphones, will I be able to have 7.1 come through as well?

Beyerdynamic DT990 is very capable headphone for gaming.

And with that card's total facepalm level 100ohm output impedance implementation of overhyped TPA6120 high headphone impedance is actually good thing for maintaining damping factor.

Heck, some HD500-serie Sennheiser would have notable bass bloat from interaction of output impedance and headphone's frequency dependant impedance.

(but at least it's short circuit protected against someone jamming iron nail into headphone output jack...)

5 hours ago, isaac22701 said:

"True surround/5.1/7.1" headphones are marketing bullcrap for selling cheap Chinese trinkets at even higher profit margin.

Human has only two "input channels" and hears in 3D because head and outer ears cause direction dependant changes to signal received by both ears from sound source.

http://berkeleybside.com/sound-dimensions-of-binaural-recording/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpNtNCqP94g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Even sense of distance of sounds actually coming far away is possible.

Reproducing binaural sound accurately enough for proper immersion is just lot more demanding for headphones than any stereo music, which forgives seriously inaccurate or totally bad reproduction without sounding bad.

EVERY virtual surround/surround headset I've used sounds AWFUL. It always loses details and makes things sound muddy. Newer games (And older with openAL) should have a Headphone setting that's MILES better than virtual.

Also, most games have pretty poor actual surround sound, so virtualizing it with headphones is even worse.

#Muricaparrotgang