Scientists would be baffled (And so am i).HELP TROUBLESHOOTING

FellTheSky

Hello forum!, i dont come here unless im completely disorientated. So here it goes:

So a couple weeks ago the son of a friend brought me his computer because it didnt work. He didnt say anything to me other than it didnt work and that he saw smoke of it.

I go ahead and put it a part, and test individual parts of it on my pc.

-GPU is OK.

-RAM is OK.

-Hard drive seems ok, though i only tested it as a secondary drive (HDD scan and windows utilities)

-PSU seems fine with my gtx 1060 playing some dota 2, nothing hardcore.

So i go ahead and try to test his CPU, motherboard, and ram... And the freaking 4 pin cpu connector burst in fire. Like immediately, didnt even booted. 

It was a crappy biostar motherboard, the cheapest you could imagine. With a fx 6300. I explained this to him and told him if i were him, i would change CPU MOTHER AND PSU. He asked for a cheaper solution and i say to him that he could in theory change only the motherboard. But i wouldnt trust the PSU at that point.

Fast forward today, he bought an ASUS /M5A78LM USB3. I put everything together and install windows. Then chrome and office. I leave the machine running youtube videos in autoplay for about 6 hs. Then aida 64 stress test for about 5 hs. Everything seems ok. 

He takes the machine and after 5 hours, he says the pc doesnt recognize mouse and keyboard. I take the computer home again and first i get BSOD with the code BAD POOL CALLER. Then some kernel driver bsod, and then the hard drive is blocked. From that point on the computer doesnt recognize ANY hard drive. Ive tested my 1tb drive and my 240 gb ssd on his pc, but it doesnt recognize.

-Im very suspicious about the CPU. But ive never seen a CPU causing all of these troubles. In my experience the CPU either dies, or doesnt die. Though ive seen some of them giving blue screens. 

-I tested the RAM with memtest 86 for 4 hours and its completely normal.

-I tested the hard drive in my pc, its a bit slow but its an old drive by now. On his pc its not recognized. 

Also ive noticed that the capacitors on the right side of the CPU on HIS pc are extremely hot, even in the BIOS. probably 80c+

But im not sure if this could be caused by a bad CPU

If you took the work to read all of this, im looking for advice. I think the cpu might be the problem but i dont have any AMD cpus to test. The motherboard is brand new. The cpu is the same that survived the old biostar burned mobo. 

I think I would agree that the CPU could have been damaged. Usually a component will fire up like that when voltages are bad and go crazy, usually from bad power delivery and/or bad PSU. It wouldnt be the first time that something like this didnt take other components with it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, FellTheSky said:

Hello forum!, i dont come here unless im completely disorientated. So here it goes:

So a couple weeks ago the son of a friend brought me his computer because it didnt work. He didnt say anything to me other than it didnt work and that he saw smoke of it.

I go ahead and put it a part, and test individual parts of it on my pc.

-GPU is OK.

-RAM is OK.

-Hard drive seems ok, though i only tested it as a secondary drive (HDD scan and windows utilities)

-PSU seems fine with my gtx 1060 playing some dota 2, nothing hardcore.

So i go ahead and try to test his CPU, motherboard, and ram... And the freaking 4 pin cpu connector burst in fire. Like immediately, didnt even booted. 

It was a crappy biostar motherboard, the cheapest you could imagine. With a fx 6300. I explained this to him and told him if i were him, i would change CPU MOTHER AND PSU. He asked for a cheaper solution and i say to him that he could in theory change only the motherboard. But i wouldnt trust the PSU at that point.

Fast forward today, he bought an ASUS /M5A78LM USB3. I put everything together and install windows. Then chrome and office. I leave the machine running youtube videos in autoplay for about 6 hs. Then aida 64 stress test for about 5 hs. Everything seems ok. 

He takes the machine and after 5 hours, he says the pc doesnt recognize mouse and keyboard. I take the computer home again and first i get BSOD with the code BAD POOL CALLER. Then some kernel driver bsod, and then the hard drive is blocked. From that point on the computer doesnt recognize ANY hard drive. Ive tested my 1tb drive and my 240 gb ssd on his pc, but it doesnt recognize.

-Im very suspicious about the CPU. But ive never seen a CPU causing all of these troubles. In my experience the CPU either dies, or doesnt die. Though ive seen some of them giving blue screens. 

-I tested the RAM with memtest 86 for 4 hours and its completely normal.

-I tested the hard drive in my pc, its a bit slow but its an old drive by now. On his pc its not recognized. 

Also ive noticed that the capacitors on the right side of the CPU on HIS pc are extremely hot, even in the BIOS. probably 80c+

But im not sure if this could be caused by a bad CPU

If you took the work to read all of this, im looking for advice. I think the cpu might be the problem but i dont have any AMD cpus to test. The motherboard is brand new. The cpu is the same that survived the old biostar burned mobo. 

You are right to suspect the cpu, but you should try a different power supply/hdd but also put a fan blowing onto his motherboard to cool it down, also test with one stick of the cheapest ram you have.

80+c seems way too high for CPU VRMs.

It definitely sounds like it could be a CPU issue. FX chips can be pretty cheap on ebay or Craigslist, just grab essentially a burner chip for a low price and see if that's the problem.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

as previously mentioned grab the cheapest cpu that the motherboard supports and do some testing with that. 

it's possible that the board he bought is just broken.. 

another possibility is that he did something with the pc that he didn't tell you... ask him what he did before it broke again. 

She/Her

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

as previously mentioned grab the cheapest cpu that the motherboard supports and do some testing with that. 

it's possible that the board he bought is just broken.. 

another possibility is that he did something with the pc that he didn't tell you... ask him what he did before it broke again. 

I will ask him again, you might be right on this