laptop thermal throttling

Omarika12

my laptop's gpu is thermal throttling and idk why. i mad sure that all my fans are clean but still no luck

my hardware:

cpu: intel core i3 5005

ram: 12 GB ddr3

storage: crucial mx300 ssd

gpu: geforce 920M

ok ill try thermal paste, should i buy a specific type of thermal paste or should i just buy the first thing on amazon? (sry im not really that good at computers

6 minutes ago, Omarika12 said:

ok ill try thermal paste, should i buy a specific type of thermal paste or should i just buy the first thing on amazon? (sry im not really that good at computers

any reputable thermal paste would do. IC diamond, arctic silver etc

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

any reputable thermal paste would do. IC diamond, arctic silver etc

ok thx

so i put thermal paste and my temps went down but still thermal throttling even though my temps are low 60-70

6 minutes ago, Omarika12 said:

so i put thermal paste and my temps went down but still thermal throttling even though my temps are low 60-70

Your laptop not running at full tilt is not indication of thermal throttling. It's like when your car idles at 800rpm when you're at a red light, but can rev up to 4000rpm when you need to go ham when it turns green. At cruise you might be in the neighborhood of 1-2k rpm. Your laptop is doing the same. It's using as much power as it needs (aka not 100%, but not 5% either) in the tasks its doing. Even if your temps are in the 60s to 70s, the game or application may not be utilizing the processor or gpu 100%. Hope that explanation helped!

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

1 minute ago, ShadowChaser said:

Your laptop not running at full tilt is not indication of thermal throttling. It's like when your car idles at 800rpm when you're at a red light, but can rev up to 4000rpm when you need to go ham when it turns green. At cruise you might be in the neighborhood of 1-2k rpm. Your laptop is doing the same. It's using as much power as it needs (aka not 100%, but not 5% either) in the tasks its doing. Even if your temps are in the 60s to 70s, the game or application may not be utilizing the processor or gpu 100%. Hope that explanation helped!

ok... but since i have a geforce 920m it goes to 100% in any game/gpu intensive app and thats when it throttles

@Omarika12"Throttles" What exactly is throttling? The clock speed?

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.