Sony A6500 or A7 II?

Which one?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• A6500
    • A7 II

Hey there. I'm looking to purchase a mirrorless system tomorrow. I'm trying to decide between the A6500 and the A7 II. I'm leaning towards the A6500. Looking at some of the videos floating around, I prefer the look of it over that of the A7 II. End goal wise, I do believe that video will be my end goal, but the A7 II photos are, from what I've seen, a pretty significant step above those off the A6500. If any of y'all own either of these cameras, I'd be super interested to hear your input. Bonus points if you have both cameras. Also would be looking for recommendations on lenses. 

Idk I’d also look at the lenses before you pick one. In the short term a6500, but if you ever want to upgrade you have to go out and buy FF lenses. I have the a6300 and love it, but apsc lenses for Sony kinda suck right now for stills. For video they are just ok. So I’m force to go FF.

On the Sony side I'd probably go  full frame as well. Mind you, the a7ii, having used it a bit isn't really worth it imo. The a7iii is a much better camera overall (I don;t believe its the best thing since sliced bread, unlike everyone else apparently, but still the 1st Sony I might have truly seriously considered.) 

So of the 2 cameras, the a6500 is the better deal, but as mentioned above, sony crop lenses are pretty crap, very small selection, they are expensive and optically...well just ok really.

Going FF will also incur a significant cost on Sony which you should consider. But I would definitely steer away from the a7ii, prefering to save up for an a7iii instead, which, given you are looking at an a6500, if prices are as I remember still, wouldn't be an enormous stretch and would give you much better value.  

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

You failed to to tell anything about what things you would be photographing and in which way.

Do you have any specific things you're interested in shooting?

Are you wanting to carry camera/kit with you lot?

Every single camera/system is always compromise, they just have different strengths and different challenges.

And even the most expensive or technically best camera won't take photos if it's missing something...

Or sitting in shelf of cabinet.

Se before deciding anything you should look at those things you actually want to to and need, not some marketing hype.

A6500 as far as i know is certainly made more for video, the A6300 was released at similar time but lacks the in-camera stabilization.  If you are shooting while moving I would go for the A6500, also because the battery on the A7 really isn't very good.  If you can get the A7 ii used that would be worth it.

sold