Best under $1000 CAD Laptop Recommendations?

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a new laptop since my gateway one is starting to go to the dump, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for what I could get

Mostly looking for:

• Something good for School, Internet Browsing and Video Playback and maybe super light gaming and video / photo editing
  • 15 Inch screen, might go with a 14 Inch if its the right price
  • Would rather something of a darker color but It doesn't matter much
  • This part is mainly just me, but I would rather something with an Intel CPU since I have had nothing but trouble with AMD based laptops in the past. I would also like to stay away from Acer because of the issues I've had with them too.

There are a couple I have looked at so far but they seem a bit expensive

• Asus VivoBook S 15.6 (I5-8250U, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD). 256GB would be enough for what I will be doing, and if I do need more I think I could add another drive or change them out
  • Dell Inspiron 15.6 (I5-8250U, 256GB SSD, 8GB DDR4). Reviews on this one are kind of driving me away from it though.

Really never had much time to look around, but if you do have any recommendations keep in mind the Canadian price change if your not from here :P.

Thanks!

Although you are against having AMD, i encourage you into looking more into the HP Envy x360 with a Ryzen APU. The graphics chip in those processors actually hold up pretty well in games. Moreover, the touchscreen and pen that this laptop comes with would be pretty useful for annotating notes and slides in school.

1 hour ago, StripeyOgima said:

Although you are against having AMD, i encourage you into looking more into the HP Envy x360 with a Ryzen APU. The graphics chip in those processors actually hold up pretty well in games. Moreover, the touchscreen and pen that this laptop comes with would be pretty useful for annotating notes and slides in school.

Interesting, never really looked at any of the two in ones yet. Might see what other rigs come out with that APU, seems like that is the only one bestbuy has right now.

Neither options above are good. Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

16 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Neither options above are good. Any links of online stores?

Sorry for the late response, but BestBuy, Staples and Newegg. I find most of the laptops on Amazon and other sites don't normally beat prices on those, but if you do find something better or know of something I know Bestbuy and Staples can price match pretty good. I would rather buy local so I find out if I like the laptop or not first.

EDIT: Seems like Costco got some new laptops too if you can recommend anything there. Saw this Dell Inspirion 15 7000

On 5/30/2018 at 3:32 AM, Jenjar said:
  • Something good for School, Internet Browsing and Video Playback and maybe super light gaming and video / photo editing
  • 15 Inch screen, might go with a 14 Inch if its the right price
  • Would rather something of a darker color but It doesn't matter much
  • This part is mainly just me, but I would rather something with an Intel CPU since I have had nothing but trouble with AMD based laptops in the past. I would also like to stay away from Acer because of the issues I've had with them too

Choose model not brand, every brand has good and bad products

15 inch: 

Acer Swift 3 15

HP Envy x360 15 Ryzen

Lenovo Thinkpad E580 with 8250U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD

14 inch/13 inch:

Asus UX330UA

Asus UX430UA

Acer Swift 3 14 (link 2 with 128GB SSD)

Lenovo Flex 6 14 with 8250U, IPS FHD touchscreen, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

Lenovo Flex 5 14

Acer Spin 5 13 (link 2)

17 inch:

Acer Aspire 5 17 with good quality IPS panel (link 2)

If you don't mind TN panel, also consider Aspire 5 15

If you don't mind mediocre battery life and prefer good quality display, also consider Dell 7370, Dell 7373, Dell 7472, Dell 7570, Dell 7573

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128