Undervolting locked i5 4440

Go to solution Solved by Tabs,
6 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

So I can use XTU to undervolt my it 4440 with a 75 milivolt offset mostly for thermals but is this just the same as finding the max stable voltage for an overclock? Is there any reason to find the lowest stable voltage I can run a locked chip at? For any scenario you could think of like HTPC or just noise and thermals in general? Still getting the 3.1 base and 3.3 turbo 

Power consumption rises linearly with clock speed and exponentially with voltage - so any reduction in voltage that you can get will result in lower power consumption and heat generation. If you have a machine on all the time, the savings can be fairly dramatic when the machine is under load, but it won't affect your idle power consumption at all (since EIST already reduces voltages when the chip is idle, and you can only affect voltages for the full speed voltage plane).

If you're willing to ensure that it's definitely stable, you only lose a little time and can potentially end up with a cooler operating, lower power and lower noise machine. If that sounds like something you want, I'd say go for it.

And yes, it's basically the same as finding the lowest voltage when overclocking, except you never change the frequency.

So I can use XTU to undervolt my it 4440 with a 75 milivolt offset mostly for thermals but is this just the same as finding the max stable voltage for an overclock? Is there any reason to find the lowest stable voltage I can run a locked chip at? For any scenario you could think of like HTPC or just noise and thermals in general? Still getting the 3.1 base and 3.3 turbo 

6 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

Power consumption rises linearly with clock speed and exponentially with voltage - so any reduction in voltage that you can get will result in lower power consumption and heat generation. If you have a machine on all the time, the savings can be fairly dramatic when the machine is under load, but it won't affect your idle power consumption at all (since EIST already reduces voltages when the chip is idle, and you can only affect voltages for the full speed voltage plane).

If you're willing to ensure that it's definitely stable, you only lose a little time and can potentially end up with a cooler operating, lower power and lower noise machine. If that sounds like something you want, I'd say go for it.

And yes, it's basically the same as finding the lowest voltage when overclocking, except you never change the frequency.