PC randomly shutting down

Go to solution Solved by Nogghan,

try undoing the XMP and see if that helps the 8700k is only rated for 2666 on the spec sheet and same for z370 chipset i believe 

Hi, I finally built my first (not yet) gaming rig! The specs are:

• i7 8700k

• ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6

• G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 MHz RAM - 2 * 16 GB

• Corsair RM650x power supply

• Corsair H100i v2 AIO cooler

• NZXT S340 Elite case

• Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB

• WD Black 3 TB hard drive

No graphics card yet, waiting for the 1180, hopefully that comes out soon :).

I've just been using it just three days now since Friday May 26, 2018, but I'm already facing a rather scary problem: my computer randomly shuts down when I'm doing something, but the RGB lights on the mobo stay on. Then something weird happens: I cannot boot back up by pressing the power button; I have to unplug the power cable, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in, when sometimes it just automatically starts up, or I have to press the power button again.

Here's what I was doing when this happened previously:

• Browsing the web while some code was compiling in the background
  • Watching some local videos on a video player
  • Typing this out for the first time lol (now I'm on my laptop to be safe)

All my drivers are up to date, and so is my BIOS. I have no issues with thermals, everything is in check, no overclocks going on on my CPU, and no GPU, but I do have my XMP profile active on my memory. 

try undoing the XMP and see if that helps the 8700k is only rated for 2666 on the spec sheet and same for z370 chipset i believe 

if that doesnt work try taking stuff out one part at a time and see if it still happens

@Nogghan thanks for the prompt reply! I'll try disabling the XMP profile and try running some stress tests maybe, and try doing regular tasks, let's see if it holds up. It's kind of a shame if Z370 doesn't work properly with fast RAM tho

3 minutes ago, Ambyjkl2 said:

@Nogghan thanks for the prompt reply! I'll try disabling the XMP profile and try running some stress tests maybe, and try doing regular tasks, let's see if it holds up. It's kind of a shame if Z370 doesn't work properly with fast RAM tho

im not 100% sure if the z370 chipset doesnt like fast ram but im pretty sure i read that somewhere, how ever i do see all the tech reviewers showing ram over 2666 and i dont know why because they also mention that the coffee lake and down consumer cpus dont go past 2666 ddr4 on the spec sheets 

but on my 8600k i dont run my ram past 2666 

Alright, I disabled XMP and been doing stuff, and the problem seems to have gone away. Now I'll try switching it back on and see if it comes back

Okay, the problem seems to have gone away at least for now, even with XMP enabled, weird. But I guess toggling it did something, so I'll take it. Thanks!