Desktop icons

Dogsparky
Go to solution Solved by DrMacintosh,

That is a Windows bug that I doubt will ever be fixed. Basically FileExplorer semi crashes and restarts. It's normal behavior. 

For a few months now i have had trouble with the taskbar and its icons along with icons every once in a while refreshing/flickering, not repeatedly just once then after a some amount of minutes it does it again. sort of like if i restart windows explorer using task manager.  i don't really have any apps on here aside from games from steam, and league of legends. i have display drivers updated, even uninstalled them and reinstalled them, have my motherboard apps and msi afterburner, nothing i can see that would cause this. 

I reinstalled windows twice, didn't do anything and i have switched drives when installing windows, still didn't help. i have never experienced this on any of my previous computers or my laptop, does windows just have a weird bug now?

I haven't experienced anything like that... I'm running windows 10 update 1709. What PC do you have?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Uptivuptiz said:

I haven't experienced anything like that... I'm running windows 10 update 1709. What PC do you have?

One i built myself, there is no model to it

9 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

One i built myself, there is no model to it

Ok then. What windows version do you have and what update are you on?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

55 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Ok then. What windows version do you have and what update are you on?

i just updated like 4 hours ago, so whichever is the newest 

4 hours ago, Dogsparky said:

For a few months now i have had trouble with the taskbar and its icons along with icons every once in a while refreshing/flickering, not repeatedly just once then after a some amount of minutes it does it again. sort of like if i restart windows explorer using task manager.  i don't really have any apps on here aside from games from steam, and league of legends. i have display drivers updated, even uninstalled them and reinstalled them, have my motherboard apps and msi afterburner, nothing i can see that would cause this. 

I reinstalled windows twice, didn't do anything and i have switched drives when installing windows, still didn't help. i have never experienced this on any of my previous computers or my laptop, does windows just have a weird bug now?

.Try going to your display settings and changing the scaling of your desktop to a different %.

.Restart the computer.

.Change the display settings back to where you had them.

.Restart the computer again.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:52 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

.Try going to your display settings and changing the scaling of your desktop to a different %.

.Restart the computer.

I have not thought of that, i will do that and come back with any updates if it continues afterwards 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:52 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

.Restart the computer.

yeah it just  did it again. while i was also using integrated graphics, i don't think it has anything to do with the display output

5 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

yeah it just  did it again. while i was also using integrated graphics, i don't think it has anything to do with the display output

Okay, are you maybe using the intel rapid storage utility. I've had to uninstall that on two computers now. It was actually causing the Sata drive in one of them to run a 3gb/s instead of 6 causing major slow downs and other issues like what you're describing with your desktop icons reloading.

1 hour ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Okay, are you maybe using the intel rapid storage utility. I've had to uninstall that on two computers now. It was actually causing the Sata drive in one of them to run a 3gb/s instead of 6 causing major slow downs and other issues like what you're describing with your desktop icons reloading.

i don't have intel rapid storage

29 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

i don't have intel rapid storage

Hmmm... well okay..

You might want to try:

.a virus scan with malwarebytes.

.repairing windows (hold shift, hit restart, and there are options in a blue screen that comes up).

.repairing issues in the registry with Ccleaner.

You know what it might be..

windows search indexing getting all messed up..

I wonder if there's a way to reset all of that.

I bet if you look carefully, you'll find an option for that in Ccleaner that you could check.

I would reinstall windows fresh if none of that works..

and if that fails... my best guess would be a failing hard drive so maybe use something like crystal disk info to check on it's health.

Some ideas for you anyways :)

On 5/25/2018 at 1:08 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

Hmmm... well okay..

You might want to try:

.a virus scan with malwarebytes.

.repairing windows (hold shift, hit restart, and there are options in a blue screen that comes up).

.repairing issues in the registry with Ccleaner.

You know what it might be..

windows search indexing getting all messed up..

I wonder if there's a way to reset all of that.

I bet if you look carefully, you'll find an option for that in Ccleaner that you could check.

I would reinstall windows fresh if none of that works..

and if that fails... my best guess would be a failing hard drive so maybe use something like crystal disk info to check on it's health.

Some ideas for you anyways :)

i have said in my original  post saying that i have reinstalled windows twice and have used different drives, both times reinstalling windows it still had this problem 

i exited out of samsung magician and haven't seen it happen since. could that have possibly done something? i do have my OS on the samsung ssd

On 5/25/2018 at 5:23 PM, Dogsparky said:

i exited out of samsung magician and haven't seen it happen since. could that have possibly done something? i do have my OS on the samsung ssd

Huh, I've never seen Samsung Magician do that, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Maybe the rapid storage thing was causing you issues. Not entirely sure.

You're going to have to wait it out to see if the issue comes back at all.

Only way to be sure at this point ;)

4 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Huh, I've never seen Samsung Magician do that, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Maybe the rapid storage thing was causing you issues. Not entirely sure.

You're going to have to wait it out to see if the issue comes back at all.

Only way to be sure at this point ;)

It only stopped it for like 10 minutes, then it started up again. 

That is a Windows bug that I doubt will ever be fixed. Basically FileExplorer semi crashes and restarts. It's normal behavior. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Try another cable (ie displayport if you're on HDMI, or vice versa) and another monitor.

it's time

8 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

It only stopped it for like 10 minutes, then it started up again. 

Okay, given the fact that you've tried different drives and reinstalled windows, I don't think this is a software issue of any kind unless you're installing the problematic driver or utility again every time you reinstall windows..

It's either a hardware or a firmware issue..

So, I guess the next step would be flashing your bios, but be careful!

If there's a power outage while flashing the bios, it'll brick your motherboard so make sure you try this when the weather is good.

12 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

I am having trouble with windows icons/taskbar. i have already reinstalled windows 3 times. Used 2 different drives. Used my integrated graphics to see if it was a graphics card issue. Updated graphics card drivers.Ran a malwarebytes and virus scan. Nothing here has solved the problem. 

The windows taskbar icons and icons on the taskbar after every 3-4 minutes or so blink once, as if you were to restart windows explorer using task manager. and i have checked my except my background doesn't blink.

I have checked my programs and things i have downloaded. nothing i have should be doing this. just a bunch of games from Steam and Blizzard,League of legends. Discord isn't a game but it isn't virus inducing or anything. Some pictures from my phone. and driver applications like MSI live update.then there is stuff like the MSI command center and MSI afterburner. My windows version is 1803. Checked. there are no new updates.

The same thing happens to me as well but only rarely. It's probably an issue with the 1803 update.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

20 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why haven't i experience this before? doesn't even happen with my friends or anyone else i know either

Oh, someone on tomshardware said it is a problem just baked into the 1803 update, is that accurate? just this version of windows mainly has this problem being widespread like that?

19 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Try another cable (ie displayport if you're on HDMI, or vice versa) and another monitor.

Doesn't happen with integrated graphics which requires another cable

7 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

Oh, someone on tomshardware said it is a problem just baked into the 1803 update, is that accurate? just this version of windows mainly has this problem being widespread like that?

That’s probably it.

it's time

22 minutes ago, RollTime said:

That’s probably it.

Well that at least makes me feel a bit better because at some point it will get fixed