CPU - i5 4460

Cooling - Arctic Freezer i11

Motherboard - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

GPU - STRIX GTX 970

RAM - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 1666MHz CL9

PSU - Inter-Tech CPM-650

Storage - 1TB WD Blue @7.200RPM

Chassis - Sharkoon REX3 Value

So lately, real life and school started to take more and more of my time by which I noticed, that I don't enjoy the games I tend to spend my spare time on like Counter-Strike.

Now since gaming isn't a main "priority" to me anymore, I'd like to invest just about the right amount of money to upgrade my rig so I can play games I actually enjoy more fluently like Battlefield.

My current CPU barrely runs Battlefield 1, choppy here and there and some mouse delay too, and I can completely forget having background tasks running. I want to prepare my rig for Battlefield V, of course the requirements are not released yet but I think it can be estimateed(?).

Now I'd like to know from you what you would change in my rig, I'd like something that will keep me going for the next few years in popular titles. Just as a side note, I'am a student so I can forget investing 300€ on the CPU alone etc.

My PSU is to be changed anyways since it's a non-certified 60€ beater that I bought in 2012 and should've died in 2012, I don't know how it still runs today but it can go down anytime and it doesn't have any kind of overpowering control, if it breakes my whole computer will probably go down with it so if you have any solid semi modular suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I would try and look for a used i7 4770K or 4790K on Ebay. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I would try and look for a used i7 4770K or 4790K on Ebay. 

yeah throwing in an i7 would be a decent upgrade, but it's hard to find them for a reasonable price (or atleast where they should be priced) so that might require some digging.

If you want to buy new I would maybe go with a ryzen 5 2600 (x). some people would say 8400 or 8600k but you would likely find yourself in the same situation you are now in about 2 years where you can just barely game off of it and have to manage cpu utilization. Ryzen has more multithreading potential and a much better upgrade path so you can just plop a new cpu in when you think you need to upgrade. If you fight off the upgrade bug for a little longer you might be able to save some money on ram, just a side note.

either way it's your choice.

33 minutes ago, J400 said:

yeah throwing in an i7 would be a decent upgrade, but it's hard to find them for a reasonable price (or atleast where they should be priced) so that might require some digging.

If you want to buy new I would maybe go with a ryzen 5 2600 (x). some people would say 8400 or 8600k but you would likely find yourself in the same situation you are now in about 2 years where you can just barely game off of it and have to manage cpu utilization. Ryzen has more multithreading potential and a much better upgrade path so you can just plop a new cpu in when you think you need to upgrade. If you fight off the upgrade bug for a little longer you might be able to save some money on ram, just a side note.

either way it's your choice.

I agree with this. Ryzen is a little behind in gaming, but not by much. You'll end up with more cores and threads, and with newer titles starting to take advantage of more than 4 threads you should see a difference. Also, background tasks will be possible. And the upgrade path is there down the line, not even the current Intel platform is sure to stay more than this generation.

Side notes: Definitely get that PSU replaced, and consider an SSD if you want a little more system responsiveness.

1 hour ago, J400 said:

If you want to buy new I would maybe go with a ryzen 5 2600 (x). some people would say 8400 or 8600k but you would likely find yourself in the same situation you are now in about 2 years where you can just barely game off of it and have to manage cpu utilization. Ryzen has more multithreading potential and a much better upgrade path so you can just plop a new cpu in when you think you need to upgrade.

33 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

I agree with this. Ryzen is a little behind in gaming, but not by much. You'll end up with more cores and threads, and with newer titles starting to take advantage of more than 4 threads you should see a difference.

I'am not really informed but I heard about ryzen having issues in some popular titles, for example a "AMD User" was enraged yesterday in the chat of Battlefield 1 because the game was unplayable for him for some reason. And others pointed out that it might be the fact that he's using AMD.

How long would a i7 4790k keep me running in your opinion?

36 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

Side notes: Definitely get that PSU replaced

Any suggestions? When I start looking for one I either get some bronze non-modular one's or some expensive gold/plat full modular psu's, all I need is a great bank for buck semi-modular, atleast bronze certified PSU, the site I use to compare these overwhelms me.

27 minutes ago, FYZX7 said:

Any suggestions? When I start looking for one I either get some bronze non-modular one's or some expensive gold/plat full modular psu's, all I need is a great bank for buck semi-modular, atleast bronze certified PSU, the site I use to compare these overwhelms me.

Have you tried PCPartPicker? You can set filters like these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#sort=price&e=4,2&p=1,2

I would tend towards brands like EVGA.

32 minutes ago, FYZX7 said:

I'am not really informed but I heard about ryzen having issues in some popular titles, for example a "AMD User" was enraged yesterday in the chat of Battlefield 1 because the game was unplayable for him for some reason. And others pointed out that it might be the fact that he's using AMD.

How long would a i7 4790k keep me running in your opinion?

Not sure how long a 4790K would last, but the "AMD" issue is likely an edge case, or he might be running on an older AMD processor, like FX. Also could be his GPU.

I'm still running the AMD fx 8320 OC'D to 4.2 GHz and was running battlefield 4 reasonably. +1 on the SSD upgrade that will make a big difference. 

28 minutes ago, Tekred said:

I'm still running the AMD fx 8320 OC'D to 4.2 GHz and was running battlefield 4 reasonably. +1 on the SSD upgrade that will make a big difference. 

Actually so am I lol. Just at 3.7.

Not sure what he meant by the requirements not released yet but here they are

Screenshot_20180520-230048.png

Nevermind just noticed he said battlefield 5 not 4 but I would imagine the requirements to be pretty close