Windows freezes on Startup after Overclocking CPU

I'm having an issue my Overclock, I was here a few days ago asking why my PC switches off then on again whenever I boot, I'm passed that now. Whenever I OC, it'll get past BIOS and Display the Asus logo but nothing happens (this is where the spinny circle shows up for Windows loading) and I have to do a cold shutdown on it, however, if I then start it up again it'll load just fine (how I'm here now still running at the OC settings), I've stressed the CPU in Prime95 and it seems to be okay, no real instabilities are showing themselves. Any ideas as to why this happening?

Just to clarify, when you get into Windows do you have the same speed/voltage as you overclocked in BIOS?

Does the same happen if you lower the overclock slightly and/or increase the voltage?

21 minutes ago, TipsyDriver said:

Any ideas as to why this happening?

- Check your hibernate settings in windows.

- Check if you have fastboot enabled or disabled in bios

- Check if using A1 and B1 RAM slots fixes it instead of A2 and B2

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Try going in to Control Panel > Power Options > Change what the power buttons do > Turn OFF "Fast Startup".

That may fix it.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

9 minutes ago, Husky said:

Try going in to Control Panel > Power Options > Change what the power buttons do > Turn OFF "Fast Startup".

That may fix it.

Okay so I turned that off, I'll try that in a second

52 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

- Check your hibernate settings in windows.

- Check if you have fastboot enabled or disabled in bios

- Check if using A1 and B1 RAM slots fixes it instead of A2 and B2

I've moved the RAM from A1 and B1 to A2 and B2, I did that earlier and that hasn't changed anything

1 hour ago, SneerRolts said:

Just to clarify, when you get into Windows do you have the same speed/voltage as you overclocked in BIOS?

Does the same happen if you lower the overclock slightly and/or increase the voltage?

Yes, the same speed, the voltage is a little lower than what I set it at, I set the voltage to 1.345 and it's currently at 1.328

And I am guessing none of the above changed things?

Does the same happen if you lower your overclock by 100MHz? So if you are 4.9GHz, make it 4.8GHz.

I dont think it would change anything but always worth testing the simple before going deep.

- try following: Unplug every USB device from your PC including mouse&keyboard and see if she still freezes on coldboot.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Unfortunately I have to report that changing the boot options (fast boot to disabled) didn't make a difference

1 hour ago, SneerRolts said:

And I am guessing none of the above changed things?

Does the same happen if you lower your overclock by 100MHz? So if you are 4.9GHz, make it 4.8GHz.

I dont think it would change anything but always worth testing the simple before going deep.

No, as soon as I tweak anything, the memory or the CPU Frequency, it'll freeze on boot, I cold shutdown and restart and it boots fine

1 hour ago, DarkSmith2 said:

- try following: Unplug every USB device from your PC including mouse&keyboard and see if she still freezes on coldboot.

I'll try it

Unplugging didn't work. However, I may have stumbled upon a possible cause, I booted my machine into Safe Mode so I could open the Command Prompt, ran chkdsk on it and it returned saying there were errors, however, I attempt to run chkdsk /f and it says it can't because the drive is locked and I don't know how to unlock it. I logged back into Windows and ran chkdsk and it said there were no errors, ran chkdsk /f anyway, and re-booted and it was diagnosing PC etc. I then booted back into Safe Mode ran chkdsk again and it still says there are errors (error in uppercase file structure, or something like that anyway). I tried doing Startup Repair but it said it failed, should I just do a PC reset?

Read the repair log. Apparently this file is corrupted: "Boot critical file f:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt." apparently that is the root cause of the chkdsk errors

I have no idea how to fix this boot file, Command Prompt is being no help, checking the disk just means it gets stuck at 14% and won't go any further and Automatic Repair is being no help saying it can't fix the file and giving me the same error log

3 hours ago, TipsyDriver said:

I have no idea how to fix this boot file, Command Prompt is being no help, checking the disk just means it gets stuck at 14% and won't go any further and Automatic Repair is being no help saying it can't fix the file and giving me the same error log

Okay, I'm sure how to fix chkdsk errors but this might help:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/

I would suggest trying to run the command as an Administrator (hopefully it'll work) otherwise usually what I do in a case like yours is I back up my data (if possible) and format the drive completely.    

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL

2 hours ago, Edwardk326 said:

Okay, I'm sure how to fix chkdsk errors but this might help:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/

I would suggest trying to run the command as an Administrator (hopefully it'll work) otherwise usually what I do in a case like yours is I back up my data (if possible) and format the drive completely.    

Yea I've tried that 4 times, each time Automatic Repair says it can't fix anything, if I just do a chkdsk then it says no errors are found, however, if I do it in Safe Boot it detects errors and I can't seem to fix them it won't let me run that command.

2 hours ago, TipsyDriver said:

Yea I've tried that 4 times, each time Automatic Repair says it can't fix anything, if I just do a chkdsk then it says no errors are found, however, if I do it in Safe Boot it detects errors and I can't seem to fix them it won't let me run that command.

I'm very sorry to hear that man the only time I ever encountered a similar problem was when I was when overclocking my brother's 6800k but that was an easy fix I just uppd the voltage from 1.325 to 1.33 volts and that solved it however I think your situation is a little different.

If it is at all possible I would try backing up your data and formatting the hard drive (If it is an old build, it might be that the hard drive is failing, I'm not sure).

I'm very sorry man other than a back up and format I'm out of my depth over here.

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL

14 hours ago, Edwardk326 said:

I'm very sorry to hear that man the only time I ever encountered a similar problem was when I was when overclocking my brother's 6800k but that was an easy fix I just uppd the voltage from 1.325 to 1.33 volts and that solved it however I think your situation is a little different.

If it is at all possible I would try backing up your data and formatting the hard drive (If it is an old build, it might be that the hard drive is failing, I'm not sure).

I'm very sorry man other than a back up and format I'm out of my depth over here.

Dw man, I'll put just format it like you say and hope for the best