Raspberry Pi air cooling solution!

chris

I decided that as a small project I would make a heatsink for my raspberrypi. The Pi can easily hit 800 under load if you OC, and I decided that I would try to reduce that. In the next few weeks I'll make a raspberrypi benchmarking script that also records temperatures.

The whole thing cost me about £8, with more than enough leftovers to make a good 5-6 more.

The heatsink: http://www.amazon.co.uk/45mm-10mm-Heatsink-Dissipate-Cooling/dp/B008OTKRY8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365346980&sr=8-3&keywords=heatsink+fins

The thermal compound (also semi-adhesive): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-MX-4-Thermal-Compound/dp/B0045JCFLY/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1365348274&sr=1-1&keywords=thermal+compound

The planning took me about 10 minutes, making sure that the heatsink I cut would be the right size, and then another 10 to saw and apply the heatsink. The CPU/GPU heatsink is 12x12mm (roughly), and the LAN controller's heatsink is 8x8mm. After cutting the heatsinks out with a hacksaw, I applied a small amount of thermal compound to each of the small heatsinks and applied them. The heatsinks fit and now the whole thing will hopefully run a lot cooler, although I have not tested it.

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

and yes I do have the original model B, of which there are only 10,000.

What temperatures are you getting and what did you apply them down with because some people are just using double sided tape.

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

My Pi never got close to 80, always stayed under 50C.

But I did put a tiny heatsink on it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n5639[/ATTACH]

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

nice might got one for my 512 B

@fishymamba how come yours in 4 parts :D

I used some tiny MOSFET heat sinks I had.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

cool :D

damn i thought you put an hyper 212 to this beast :D

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Somebody should watercool this. I would if there was a mount for a block.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Damm, i thought the raspberry pi didn't get that hot.

You can also power a fan trough usb to try and cool it down. something like a 20 mm fan orso

Holy I didn't know these this hot, is the thermal compound you used holding them secure? Didn't know mx4 had glue like properties.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy I didn't know these this hot, is the thermal compound you used holding them secure? Didn't know mx4 had glue like properties.
it's kinda slidey but my Pi doesnt move around much so it's fine. The mx4 probably wasn't designed with this in mind.

better yet oil cool that thing !

C mon Slick that s a job for you...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

My Pi never got close to 80, always stayed under 50C.

But I did put a tiny heatsink on it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n5639[/ATTACH]

I OC'd mine and had it performing SHA512 hashes when I measured the temperature. This is the original model B though so other models may have other temps

Having some fun with my Pi I stuck mine in a zip-lock bag and stuck that in a bowl of ice-water. The thing stayed down around 6 degrees Celsius. Never got around to overclocking testing with that setup though.

Thus far my only foray into sub-ambient cooling :)

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Having some fun with my Pi I stuck mine in a zip-lock bag and stuck that in a bowl of ice-water. The thing stayed down around 6 degrees Celsius. Never got around to overclocking testing with that setup though.

Thus far my only foray into sub-ambient cooling :)

I am so gonna do that when I get mine.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I am so gonna do that when I get mine.

Be extra careful about the water. Nobody loves soggy pi. Mine got a little wet, but after drying out it still works fine. I still need to do it again and see if cooling helps with raspberry pi overclocks.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

What clocks did you achieved with this board? Does it really give a big perfomance difference? I have the 512mb version I think and sometimes xmbc lags and freezes...

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

better yet oil cool that thing ! C mon Slick that s a job for you...

To make the tank worthwhile you would have to have like 10 pis hooked up. Although I may just have to do that. The cubieboard has more power than a pi though.  http://cubieboard.org/

Space is pretty awesome.

try toothpaste it should work

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1