an amazing resurrection of some hardware that i thought was broken beyond repair

Ashleyyyy

this is gonna be a bit of a story with no actual question, but i just wanted to share this because i think it's amazing. 

so about 6 months ago my pc at the time (Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB DDR2 a GTX 1050 and a really crappy psu) broke. 

it was really strange. i was playing Overwatch, when my pc just turned off suddenly. it looked like it became unplugged somehow. then, approximately 3 seconds after it turned off, there was a big bang and a spark big enough to light up the wall behind the pc a little. safe to say, the psu died. 

i inspected the motherboard and it had (still has) black spots on it. i don't know if that's just dust or something but whatever. i then immediately tested my gtx 1050 (which i bought 3 days before this happened) and happily it still worked, i'm still using it now. what's interesting is that it did break an audio mixer that was connected to the pc, so it did get some kind of a shock powerful enough to break something connected to the motherboard audio.

now for the amazing part. about a month after this i tested the board with the cpu and ram that i had in it at the time it broke, and it didn't post. i then forgot about it.

but, a few days ago a friend messaged me saying he had some old boards that he wanted to get rid of, among those a decent asus 775 board. so i told him i wanted that. 

when i got it i put the cpu and ram in, and the cpu still works! only 1 of the ram sticks still work, but still i find that amazing.

it does have some issues, among those is that it randomly doesn't post so.. and i haven't tried putting an OS on it for now so i don't know how stable it is yet, but i still find that amazing. 

the one lesson i learned here is to never use cheap crappy power supply's. at the time it broke that psu was 2 months old at most... and it said it was 500W so i wasn't overloading it or something. at least i don't think i was... 

She/Her

47 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

hey at least you learned your lesson

yeah i did.. :(

She/Her