Guys how do i fix this crap usb?

How do i fix this usb drive?

Heres the error i get

I cannot format the drive, i need the data bcuz its for my moms work.

image.thumb.png.b878098152807b7069fb54d2f85be367.png

Screenshot (674).png

Was the drive used with a different OS? MacOS, for example? 

If so, it may be in an incompatible format with Windows. 

EDIT: If you right click the drive and select properties, does it tell you the file system it's formatted in?

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

EDIT: If you right click the drive and select properties, does it tell you the file system it's formatted in?

i dont get what you mean by the properties thing but no it has not been plugged in into another os other then win

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

do you have discord or smth where we can call or smth i am really not familiar with this

2 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

do you have discord or smth where we can call or smth i am really not familiar with this

Unfortunately I can't do that at the moment. 

If you right click on the drive (instead of where you'd normally double click to access it), a list of options will come up. Near the bottom, it should have a "properties" option, click that. 

A window of information will come up. Could you send a screenshot of that window? 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Unfortunately I can't do that at the moment. 

If you right click on the drive (instead of where you'd normally double click to access it), a list of options will come up. Near the bottom, it should have a "properties" option, click that. 

A window of information will come up. Could you send a screenshot of that window? 

image.thumb.png.a5a81d9038886476f8a7539f3a1c5f8d.pngi think its in a raw format...not sure though

Dead USB drive.  The flash chip is corrupted to the point that the usb interface chip cant do anything with it or the interface chip itself is damaged.

Recovery MIGHT be possible with some advanced tools, but its not likely that an unskilled person would be able to recover anything if the drive was restored to a point where Windows recognized it.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Dead USB drive.  The flash chip is corrupted to the point that the usb interface chip cant do anything with it or the interface chip itself is damaged.

Recovery MIGHT be possible with some advanced tools, but its not likely that an unskilled person would be able to recover anything if the drive was restored to a point where Windows recognized it.

hey im up for a challenge

2 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

i think its in a raw format...not sure though

Seems like it. In that case, your best bet is probably to use a drive recovery tool that can get the data off the raw drive. 

You can try using TestDisk, which may recover the drive https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

There is also a chance the drive is dead.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Seems like it. In that case, your best bet is probably to use a drive recovery tool that can get the data off the raw drive. 

You can try using TestDisk, which may recover the drive https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

There is also a chance the drive is dead.

i tried that, seems like it gets stuck at 0.2%

Just now, YourNewPalAlex said:

i tried that, seems like it gets stuck at 0.2%

Then you can also try using EaseUS's free trial to scan for files. If it can't find anything, the drive is likely dead. If it does, then you'll either need to try find a free tool for data recovery, or buy EaseUS.

https://www.easeus.com/

This isnt a cheap knockoff USB drive by any chance, is it?  There used to be tons of "32gb/64gb/128gb" flash drives floating around that were actually just 1gb drives with a firmware that was modded to report larger free space.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Then you can also try using EaseUS's free trial to scan for files. If it can't find anything, the drive is likely dead. If it does, then you'll either need to try find a free tool for data recovery, or buy EaseUS.

https://www.easeus.com/

i tried that too, and its really REALLY slow. But im not sure if it gets stuck, because it took a whiiiile to move from 11files on deepscan to 17files and not to mention it was not responding for another while

Just now, KarathKasun said:

This isnt a cheak knockoff USB drive by any chance, is it?  There used to be tons of "32gb/64gb/128gb" flash drives floating around that were actually just 1gb drives with a firmware that was modded to report larger free space.

no this drive is old as hell and its 4gbs and yes ive populated those 4gbs myself alot of times

Just now, YourNewPalAlex said:

no this drive is old as hell and its 4gbs and yes ive populated those 4gbs myself alot of times

Ah, then likely dead from bit-rot or too many write cycles.

1 minute ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

i tried that too, and its really REALLY slow. But im not sure if it gets stuck, because it took a whiiiile to move from 11files on deepscan to 17files and not to mention it was not responding for another while

I can only advise to leave it running as long as you can. If it stops or errors, the drive is dead, unfortunately. 

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Ah, then likely dead from bit-rot or too many write cycles.

yeah alot of tutorials said that... Is there anyway i can recover from a bit rot? 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I can only advise to leave it running as long as you can. If it stops or errors, the drive is dead, unfortunately. 

what do i leave running, the easeus or the disk cmd thing

12 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

what do i leave running, the easeus or the disk cmd thing

Either or both really. It shouldn't take too long if the drive isn't dead. If it just sits there, you're out of luck most likely. 

Well, bit-rot happens to many types of non-volatile memory if its not refreshed.  If the flash controller on the stick stores its settings in the first few bytes of the flash chip itself, its likely that its configuration bits are corrupted.  If this is the case, you may never be able to recover the drive without de-soldering the flash chip and reading it directly with a generic flash reader/programmer.

19 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Well, bit-rot happens to many types of non-volatile memory if its not refreshed.  If the flash controller on the stick stores its settings in the first few bytes of the flash chip itself, its likely that its configuration bits are corrupted.  If this is the case, you may never be able to recover the drive without de-soldering the flash chip and reading it directly with a generic flash reader/programmer.

nvm im not up for a challenge haha

23 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Either or both really. It shouldn't take too long if the drive isn't dead. If it just sits there, you're out of luck most likely. 

alright