Old PC, new NAS, new purpose

Hello everyone, as I noticed by looking around, this is a very abused dead horse, so to say. But I wanted the opinion from people with more knowledge than I can assimilate from reading other's posts.

I have an old(not really old in my books) computer with decent parts,which I was still using well up to date. But I just recently got myself a "better" one for use daily. So as I was watching the videos about it, and started thinking about it.

My old computer has this components:

• Intel I3-3240
  • ASUS Z77-A
  • Corsair CXM CX430M (430W)
  • Kingston HyperX Black 4GB
  • SanDisk SSD 64GB(currently has Windows 10)
  • WD Green HD 1TB(currently has movies, music, files, and some games which I haven't played in over 2 years)
    • Plan on adding another 1TB HD, maybe more.

I'm attempting on not spending any more money on this(besides the HDs).

The main use for the NAS would be to share the files, movies and music(not so much) between devices, Mostly to watch the movies on the TV via Chromecast or Roku, also sharing to a Windows 10 computer(new computer) and chromebooks(the computer would most likely just copy the movie to their own storage then watch), and maybe even android phones.

I would prefer the possibility of having the "cloud" feature, so if I'm on the go, I can access my files across the country, but it is not a must, I normally carry a HD with me when travelling more than 3 hour drive.

Most likely the computer will be 24/7 with occasional power off for a couple days. Having remote access(on/off) is not a must but would be handy in case of power outage.

I do have a slow internet at home, but I don't depend on high speed to get things, I can afford a few extra minutes to get my files if away from home.

Back to the subject, I would like the opinion on which OS to use, and route to take with this. It feels that what is dragging my down is my RAM, which I'm trying not to upgrade just to have a NAS.

And a big thank you for taking your time to read my post, and I would appreciate your advice on this matter.

FreeNas is probably the most popular. I know you don't want to but you'll need more RAM, most likely with any route you take. 

Current Rig

Thermaltake Tempered Glass Chassis W/ 3 LED Fans
Side Mounted MSI GTX 1070 8GB Armour Edition
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo
KabyLake i7 7700k
Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

Setup unraid and plex and then you can use dockers to make your own ownCloud Server to have a google drive/dropbox functionality built into your own server

you can do the same with FreeNAS and for Free (Unraid is 60 bucks for a 6 drive setup, which is the most many mobos can handle without a raid card and the most a standard Mid Tower Case can fit).  The downside to FreeNAS is that you have to add an array of drives to add any storage and that's an expensive proposition, whereas unRaid lets you add one drive at a time.

Another option is OpenMediaVault but there is not as large a community and you have to do some workarounds to have one giant pool of data across drives.

Here is a good tutorial for OMV.

I have done all three, FreeNAS, unRAID, and OMV and have to say unRAID is my favorite and worth the money, plus you can try it free (Linus and SpaceInvader (YouTuber) have good tutorials. But however, you do it Plex will be your main feature beyond just a network Drive in Finder or Explorer

14 minutes ago, DustonFoster said:

FreeNas is probably the most popular. I know you don't want to but you'll need more RAM, most likely with any route you take. 

FreeNAS does require 8 GB base and 1 GB per TB of Storage Space.  At least that's suggested, to run ZFS (the fancy file system with crazy good security and redundancy).  The issue is that you have to spend up front on your storage or spend a lot to add more storage (I think its 6 drives at a time).

And ZFS requires ECC Error Correcting RAM to avoid something called the write hole (google it).

28 minutes ago, DustonFoster said:

If it needs to be, I will spend the 40 dollars to get more RAM, but rather not.

17 minutes ago, 88pockets said:

Setup unraid and plex and then you can use dockers to make your own ownCloud Server to have a google drive/dropbox functionality built into your own server

you can do the same with FreeNAS and for Free (Unraid is 60 bucks for a 6 drive setup, which is the most many mobos can handle without a raid card and the most a standard Mid Tower Case can fit).  The downside to FreeNAS is that you have to add an array of drives to add any storage and that's an expensive proposition, whereas unRaid lets you add one drive at a time.

Another option is OpenMediaVault but there is not as large a community and you have to do some workarounds to have one giant pool of data across drives.

Here is a good tutorial for OMV.

I have done all three, FreeNAS, unRAID, and OMV and have to say unRAID is my favorite and worth the money, plus you can try it free (Linus and SpaceInvader (YouTuber) have good tutorials. But however, you do it Plex will be your main feature beyond just a network Drive in Finder or Explorer

While I would prefer to not pay for the service while there is free versions, I might if the benefits of the service outweigh the competition.

I'm not familiar with OMV, but I'll look into it.

I'm really not trying to spend too much money(preferably none at all) on this set up. I already have 1TB HD inside, and I have two 1TB HD that I don't really use, that would probably join this set up. 

15 minutes ago, 88pockets said:

FreeNAS does require 8 GB base and 1 GB per TB of Storage Space.  At least that's suggested, to run ZFS (the fancy file system with crazy good security and redundancy).  The issue is that you have to spend up front on your storage or spend a lot to add more storage (I think its 6 drives at a time).

And ZFS requires ECC Error Correcting RAM to avoid something called the write hole (google it).

I definitely don't plan on having that many drivers, much less I care for having ZFS, as I have non ECC RAM. I don't plan on buying a new MoBo and RAM.

All the data that would be in the NAS would be backed up in another external HD(probably monthly as I'm already in the schedule of doing), sadly it's not very proof natural disasters as it stays in the same location, but I'm ok with it.