2 questions about upgrading my laptop.

my laptop currently has 8GB of ram, and i'd like to upgrade it to 16GB. 

i found a 16GB kit used for about €100. (it's ddr3 so it's cheap :))

but, the ram i have now according to task manager is 1600mhz, and the ram i want to buy is 1333 mhz. 

since i'm using intel graphics should i expect worse graphics performance?

and the memory i want to buy is branded "for mac" but it will work ok in my laptop right?

She/Her

I'd say that the extra 8gb should make a more significant difference than the RAM speed depending on what you're doing. If you actually need more RAM for video editing/rendering, or multitasking(more tabs/programs open), then the 16gb will help out. You'll lose a slight amount of performance in graphic tasks, but it should be pretty negligible.

Mac memory should not be an issue, but you may be able to find non-mac memory for cheaper. You should also be able to find a 16gb kit of ddr3 1600 for a comparable price.

3 minutes ago, Auror said:

I'd say that the extra 8gb should make a more significant difference than the RAM speed depending on what you're doing. If you actually need more RAM for video editing/rendering, or multitasking(more tabs/programs open), then the 16gb will help out. You'll lose a slight amount of performance in graphic tasks, but it should be pretty negligible.

i don't do any gaming on this laptop aside form some 2d games so, should be fine. 

and yeah i do a lot of multitasking. 

She/Her

Yeah then you'd be fine with a lower memory frequency. If you feel like you're computer is running slower when you've got a lot open then 16gb is probably worth it.

1 minute ago, Auror said:

Yeah then you'd be fine with a lower memory frequency. If you feel like you're computer is running slower when you've got a lot open then 16gb is probably worth it.

yeah it does get a bit slower.. and i want to run vm's on this laptop alongside my chrome tabs as well so.. right now that's basically impossible unless i give the vm's 1GB of ram.. which would be awful.. 

She/Her

Well if you have a single stick of 8gb of ram you could just stick an 8gb of ram. Since that one stick is cheaper than 2 you could get it at 1600mhz and you will get a slight boost in speed from dual channel memory

5 minutes ago, xScratchHackerx said:

Well if you have a single stick of 8gb of ram you could just stick an 8gb of ram. Since that one stick is cheaper than 2 you could get it at 1600mhz and you will get a slight boost in speed from dual channel memory

i have 2 4gb stick now. 

She/Her

48 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

and yeah i do a lot of multitasking

The CPU will struggle first IMO

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

The CPU will struggle first IMO

not really. virtual machines take up a lot of ram just sitting idle. chrome tabs as well. 

She/Her