PC restarting randomly, not psu

Rob Walsh
Go to solution Solved by Fred Castellum,
3 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

the only critical in the event viewer is kernal failure.. but there are tons of errors. 

my build: - B350F Asus Rog mobo - 2700x @4.01Ghz - 250Gb NvME ssd 960 evo - 2x8Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz - Corsair 750w psu -NZXT S340 - 1TB WD Black HDD - Corsair H100iV2 - XFX R9 390 8Gb - 

No, i'm not certain. I thought the paper clip test was just to show if the fan spun up, because if it fan doesnt spin its bad, right? I have troubleshooted the OC that is on it, very mild at 4.0ghz and doesn't get hot at all. I think it started having these problems when my windows usb wasn't full plugged in and was in a usb 3.1 or whatever, it restarted and installed a corrupted version of windows on my pc. I don't know if that correlates any longer however. I use my forward usb thing for charging my vape which pulls a wopping half a watt or something. I tested my fathers r9 280 on it and at the time the amd gpu drivers was what was making it crash and so i had to reinstall them like 3 times a day. Now I don't have any amd drivers on this thing at all, i also have updated my nvme

Sounds like a PSU problem so far, do you have another PSU to test? 

Upon start up, now, regardless of GPU drivers, my pc restarts. Screen goes black and jumps through bios to windows. Like a carousel, just keeps going around and around. I've made a few posts about this, and the issue has never been resolved. Windows 10 is installed on an NvME SSD 960 evo 250gb. I am using a refurb'd rm750w psu and the fan does work on it, so i doubt it is over heating. Also 16gb of ram that doesn't affect its restarting issue. It used to do this everytime I launched a game, now its just random and will do it any time for no reason. ( usually when typing my password now. ) 

What are your full specs for the build? Are you completely sure your PSU is fine? It doesn't have to be overheating to be having problems. Are you overclocking anything? 

Have you made sure your GPU drivers are a clean install? Do you also happen to have another GPU around to use for testing purposes? 

Go ahead and check window's event viewer and see is any information pertaining to the shut down.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

the only critical in the event viewer is kernal failure.. but there are tons of errors. 

my build: - B350F Asus Rog mobo - 2700x @4.01Ghz - 250Gb NvME ssd 960 evo - 2x8Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz - Corsair 750w psu -NZXT S340 - 1TB WD Black HDD - Corsair H100iV2 - XFX R9 390 8Gb - 

No, i'm not certain. I thought the paper clip test was just to show if the fan spun up, because if it fan doesnt spin its bad, right? I have troubleshooted the OC that is on it, very mild at 4.0ghz and doesn't get hot at all. I think it started having these problems when my windows usb wasn't full plugged in and was in a usb 3.1 or whatever, it restarted and installed a corrupted version of windows on my pc. I don't know if that correlates any longer however. I use my forward usb thing for charging my vape which pulls a wopping half a watt or something. I tested my fathers r9 280 on it and at the time the amd gpu drivers was what was making it crash and so i had to reinstall them like 3 times a day. Now I don't have any amd drivers on this thing at all, i also have updated my nvme

8 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

Upon start up, now, regardless of GPU drivers, my pc restarts. Screen goes black and jumps through bios to windows. Like a carousel, just keeps going around and around. I've made a few posts about this, and the issue has never been resolved. Windows 10 is installed on an NvME SSD 960 evo 250gb. I am using a refurb'd rm750w psu and the fan does work on it, so i doubt it is over heating. Also 16gb of ram that doesn't affect its restarting issue. It used to do this everytime I launched a game, now its just random and will do it any time for no reason. ( usually when typing my password now. ) 

Without proper (specialized) hardware you will not know if your PSU is good or not.

I'd suspect the PSU is going bad.

Also, to properly troubleshoot the issue, reset *everything* back to default in the BIOS. No overclocking. Stock.

Then test RAM with Memtest86+ and we'll take it from there

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

8 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

I suppose I could go and buy another one..

Hopefully they have a return policy. Anyway, i'm really tired of screwing with this and I want it fixed, so any help would be appreciated. 

could it possibly be my bios drivers? I read online that 4011 was causing some peoples computers to crash.. however I installed that after the problem started. I don't know what to do.

1 hour ago, MyInnerFred said:

I switched to an evga 600w and it seems to be okay, I hope if this isn't the problem that it will show me before my return policy is up in 2 weeks

7 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

I switched to an evga 600w and it seems to be okay, I hope if this isn't the problem that it will show me before my return policy is up in 2 weeks

If the other PSU doesn't seem to be able to recreate the problem then that would confirm it was PSU related.

6 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

If the other PSU doesn't seem to be able to recreate the problem then that would confirm it was PSU related.

I will mark this as solved, and I'm really hoping it works. I'm also a little concerned 600w might not be enough. but here's hoping, thank you all

Well, it just went through a series of my game randomly crashing... for hours, then finally the pc just did its bsod. Said the driver couldnt come before whatever i couldn't even read it before it went away. 

11 minutes ago, Rob Walsh said:

it says it was running a windows audit like one hundred times every milisecond.. wtf

@MyInnerFred

Where and when did it say that? 

Go ahead and reset your BIOS to default settings, then try testing your ram one stick at a time for stability. 

To be clear you've already tried a clean reinstall of the graphic drivers correct?

5 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

Where and when did it say that? 

Go ahead and reset your BIOS to default settings, then try testing your ram one stick at a time for stability. 

To be clear you've already tried a clean reinstall of the graphic drivers correct?

tried to... its not really that easy, i can try again in a moment

and how to reset bios ?

On 5/15/2018 at 1:21 AM, Rob Walsh said:

tried to... its not really that easy, i can try again in a moment

and how to reset bios ?

Should be an option in BIOS to reset everything to default

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.