cooling i5 8400

mrahmat
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

stock is fine for a 8400, its a pretty low power chip.

I just got my new parts I ordered i5 8400, asrock b360 pro4, gskill 2400 mhz ram, 750W psu

no gpu yet i will use the internal gpu for now till i can afford a good one.

then I remembered that I did not buy a cooler. is stock fan good enough or should I buy a cooler? I will probably be playing few games on the pc like league, hearthstone and some rpg like final fantasy etc. on a casual basis and also do some light web development

my case has 2 front fans, 1 on top, 1 on the back if that matters. I have a cooler from my old pc but it makes alot of noise so I prefer not to use it

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

stock is fine for a 8400, its a pretty low power chip.

alright thanks, one more thing. I don't like my current case it has 4x fans and makes noise. If I swap it out in the future with a no fan case will it still be ok to use the stock fan?

4 minutes ago, mrahmat said:

alright thanks, one more thing. I don't like my current case it has 4x fans and makes noise. If I swap it out in the future with a no fan case will it still be ok to use the stock fan?

Just spin your current fans slower. If there plugged into the motherboard there are options to spin it slow and quietly.

I would consider tuning fan speeds down to reduce noise, making a power curve in the bios that doesn't spin the fans too fast when running less power hungry applications. I would suppose that only a stock fan to cool the whole system is a little under powered. Also, you could swap out the fans, to something more silent, like Noctua or Corsair ML fans.

Also, you'll need the fans for storage drives or when you buy the GPU.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just spin your current fans slower. If there plugged into the motherboard there are options to spin it slow and quietly.

5 minutes ago, Hauklien said:

I would consider tuning fan speeds down to reduce noise, making a power curve in the bios that doesn't spin the fans too fast when running less power hungry applications. I would suppose that only a stock fan to cool the whole system is a little under powered. Also, you could swap out the fans, to something more silent, like Noctua or Corsair ML fans.

Also, you'll need the fans for storage drives or when you buy the GPU.

thanks guys, yeah maybe I will do that. I remember my fan having 2 small rotating buttons labelled High, Low as its a dual sided fan

4 minutes ago, mrahmat said:

I remember my fan having 2 small rotating buttons labelled High, Low

If all 4 fans have their separate fan controller, thats great; or if what you mean is that the case have a sophisticated fan controller. But if that don't solve the noice issue (if some of the fans still make noice), I recommend you diving into your bios, tweaking the fan speeds there.

29 minutes ago, Hauklien said:

If all 4 fans have their separate fan controller, thats great; or if what you mean is that the case have a sophisticated fan controller. But if that don't solve the noice issue (if some of the fans still make noice), I recommend you diving into your bios, tweaking the fan speeds there.

the cooler I used on my old system on the cpu has 2 controls for both fans, there are some controls on the back of the case I never used not sure what they are maybe they are the fan controls I will give them a try after putting up the parts