Installed new cpu cooler. Now there's no display

So I just purchased the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2 and installed it into my system. The system starts fine, but there's just no display. I currently own the H81-Gamer motherboard and the MSI GTX 1070 which both have LED. So I can see that the GPU and motherboard is getting powered. 

After I first installed my cooler the system would auto-reboot every 5 seconds. I presumed it had something to do with thermal paste and well it turned out I put too much on it, at this point there was no display. I reinstalled the cooler with a pea-size amount of thermal paste and the system boots and stays turned on. But now there's no display. 

I've tried different display cables (HDMI and DVI) both of them don't work. I also tried another screen and still no signal. I have double checked all cables and put them in properly, none were out of place but still gave it a try. Then I cleared CMOS and still there's no display. 

Hopefully someone can help me out.

As stated:

My system has a Asus H81-Gamer motherboard,

a MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 card

and an Intel i7-4790.

My system had 0 issues this morning before I installed the new CPU cooler. 

pull the cooler off and take the CPU out and make sure you didnt get any thermal paste on the contact pads or pins. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I already made sure of that the second time I installed the cooler. Removed all thermal paste I could see, a little bit had spread around but none into any pins as far as I could see :P.

12 minutes ago, danielPatchwerk said:

I already made sure of that the second time I installed the cooler. Removed all thermal paste I could see, a little bit had spread around but none into any pins as far as I could see :P.

consult your motherboard manual to check for debug LEDs. Once you identify them, are any lit up?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

consult your motherboard manual to check for debug LEDs. Once you identify them, are any lit up?

According to the manual my motherboard has one LED. That is used to see if there's power going into the motherboard. This one is on whenever I plug in the power cable, and turns off once I take it out. 

1 minute ago, danielPatchwerk said:

According to the manual my motherboard has one LED. That is used to see if there's power going into the motherboard. This one is on whenever I plug in the power cable, and turns off once I take it out. 

do you get any video signal when you plug into the motherboard instead of the GPU?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

do you get any video signal when you plug into the motherboard instead of the GPU?

No sadly I do not. 

Just now, danielPatchwerk said:

No sadly I do not. 

have you tried a different cable to rule out a bad cable? Try removing your RAM and trying with one stick at a time in each slot. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

have you tried a different cable to rule out a bad cable? Try removing your RAM and trying with one stick at a time in each slot. 

I did try an HDMI cable. That also did not work. My screen also does detect my cables, just no display going through I guess. I've now tried both my 4GB RAM sticks in all 4 slots. Still no dice. Also I did the recommende RAM stick configurations as according to my MOBO manual. Still nothing. How screwed is my PC?

I did try an HDMI cable. That also did not work. My screen also does detect my cables, just no display going through I guess. I've now tried both my 4GB RAM sticks in all 4 slots. Still no dice. Also I did the recommende RAM stick configurations as according to my MOBO manual. Still nothing. How screwed is my PC?

Signs right now are pointing me at your CPU being dead truthfully. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

BTW my PC parts. (MOBO/GPU) does light up. So I don't think anything is fried. Or does that not matter?

Signs right now are pointing me at your CPU being dead truthfully. 

Is there any way to confirm this? I think I might bring it to a repair shop or something. See what they can do. Or would you recommend just getting a new CPU?

BTW my PC parts. (MOBO/GPU) does light up. So I don't think anything is fried. Or does that not matter?

Mobo/GPU will light up if its receiving Power. Its on separate power delivery from the CPU. Just out of curiosity, the CPU EPS power plug is plugged in correct? Did you disconnect it all when you did anything?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Mobo/GPU will light up if its receiving Power. Its on separate power delivery from the CPU. Just out of curiosity, the CPU EPS power plug is plugged in correct? Did you disconnect it all when you did anything?

Is it the 8-pin CPU connector? I did not remove it but I have reinstalled it into the MOBO. I basically took every cable out and put it back in. As far as I can see, all cables are correctly in their respective socket.

Is it the 8-pin CPU connector? I did not remove it but I have reinstalled it into the MOBO. I basically took every cable out and put it back in. As far as I can see, all cables are correctly in their respective socket.

Yea, thats the cable. So at this point, im inclined to say the CPU is dead or the socket was damaged somehow or a bent pin or something when you took it out and put it back in. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Yea, thats the cable. So at this point, im inclined to say the CPU is dead or the socket was damaged somehow or a bent pin or something when you took it out and put it back in. 

Would a PC repair shop be able to find this out for certain?

Would a PC repair shop be able to find this out for certain?

They should. Usually taking some sort of magnifing glass to the pins like your cellphone camera for instance could help check the pins on the motherboard socket to see if any are bent or out of alignment causing it to not make contact with the pad on the bottom of the CPU. If all that is good, they may have spare parts to test the CPU with to confirm or deny the CPU as the faulty point. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

They should. Usually taking some sort of magnifing glass to the pins like your cellphone camera for instance could help check the pins on the motherboard socket to see if any are bent or out of alignment causing it to not make contact with the pad on the bottom of the CPU. If all that is good, they may have spare parts to test the CPU with to confirm or deny the CPU as the faulty point. 

Alright thank you.Will take it to a shop I guess.

5 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

After poking around some more I fixed the issue of the PC no longer starting. Apparently my ram stick was bad, and that's why it refused to launch. After adding a working stick of RAM it booted. Weird... :)

6 hours ago, danielPatchwerk said:

After poking around some more I fixed the issue of the PC no longer starting. Apparently my ram stick was bad, and that's why it refused to launch. After adding a working stick of RAM it booted. Weird... :)

Awesome!!!

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig