Android TV with deep blacks?

soo im still looking at TVs and rtings.com recommends the X900E from SONy over and over again. and i do like it but i saw a couple of tests and noticed if youre displaying black border they are affected by the image and not black but seem to have what i would call backlight bleed.

so im looking for an android tv with great blacks but not oled 

samsung doesnt seem to have that problem with blacks but sadly they dont make android tv and use their own tizen os

any recommendations?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Don't have an answer for you with the TV problem as such, but would suggest maybe just buying a TV you like that has the black levels/capacity you want, and have an android box separate from it maybe.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

OLED is the best for black as it disables pixels that are supposed to display black, saving power and making true black. This is the tech that allows "Always on Display" on phones without killing screen or battery.

My recommendation is to get an LG OLED and just buy a NVidia Shield for $179.99 USD.

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Don't have an answer for you with the TV problem as such, but would suggest maybe just buying a TV you like that has the black levels/capacity you want, and have an android box separate from it maybe.

not optimal but im thinking about it

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

Yeah, if it were possible I would have it all on the TV too, but as you discovered there are very few TVs that have Android OS. Also, want to add that android TV is OK, but on the shield TV at least there are limitations still, if you stick to the play store you'll find that some apps aren't available for the shieldTV (and other android TV systems I'm guessing), so you're limited there, unless you try and side-load it, but even then some apps just don't play nicely with it. TBH I don't know which android box I would recommend nowadays really, it would depend on what it would be used for mostly.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, Carbongrip said:

OLED is the best for black as it disables pixels that are supposed to display black, saving power and making true black.

My recommendation is to get an LG OLED and just buy a NVidia Shield for $179.99 USD.

so im asking aout a non-oled with good blacks and all i get is "get an LG OLED" and a description on how oleds work which i dont need.

i even pointed out an example of non-oled tvs that handle black bars well showing it is possible and there sure must be other tvs out there handling it well...

basically all i want to get rid of is this 

image.png.60de4ccb17a1b04b582f39da9118e498.png

10 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

so im asking aout a non-oled with good blacks and all i get is "get an LG OLED" and a description on how oleds work which i dont need.

i even pointed out an example of non-oled tvs that handle black bars well showing it is possible and there sure must be other tvs out there handling it well...

Well your asking for the best black and that's going to be OLED, I don't know why your so against it. If it's too expensive for you then just save up till you can afford what you are really looking for.

Your options for Android TV built-in is Sony or Sharp, they are the only ones that partnered with Google.

Just go to the store and find the TV that you like. Then add a NVidia Shield for $179.99 USD.

1 hour ago, Carbongrip said:

Well your asking for the best black and that's going to be OLED, I don't know why your so against it. If it's too expensive for you then just save up till you can afford what you are really looking for.

Your options for Android TV built-in is Sony or Sharp, they are the only ones that partnered with Google.

Just go to the store and find the TV that you like. Then add a NVidia Shield for $179.99 USD.

actually i specifically mentioned "but not oled" and my problem is not with the price but with the fragility of the technology. im not someone to buy a new tv every 2 years so burn in and color fade over time are a concern.

the sony i was gonna get while otherwise being an awesome option sadly has the exact described problem

Sharp is not really a thing here. at least i cant find much

the store while usually a good idea isnt much to go on here because its way too brightly lit to notice "backlight bleed" 

On 5/12/2018 at 7:49 AM, cluelessgenius said:

I can sell you my vintage, excellent condition, 1080p Plasma TV ;) It has the same advantages as OLED when it comes to black.

/s

On topic: Samsung QLED TV's use the same tech as the Sony XBR E900 series - "Quantum Dot". This gives the colours and image quality a boost over other LED LCD displays. If the Samsung has better blacks? I'd get that and just buy an Android TV box.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)