Dell optiplex 7040 small form factor issues

I just picked up a dirt cheap dell optiplex 7040. It's the small form but it's has the i7-6700, 16gb ram... But the pcie slots are flipped, the 4x is above the 16x. This is a shame, but can I still use my msi gtx 1050ti low profile in it? Even though it would have to plug into the 4x slot? 

It should work normally, but the performance would be affected because it needs 16 PCIe lanes and it only got 4.

23 minutes ago, Menace081 said:

I just picked up a dirt cheap dell optiplex 7040. It's the small form but it's has the i7-6700, 16gb ram... But the pcie slots are flipped, the 4x is above the 16x. This is a shame, but can I still use my msi gtx 1050ti low profile in it? Even though it would have to plug into the 4x slot? 

It really doesn't fit in the x16 Slot??

13 minutes ago, CapitalistVN said:

It should work normally, but the performance would be affected because it needs 16 PCIe lanes and it only got 4.

It doesn't need x16

And its better than the Onboard Graphics anyway.

He might loose a bit performance but nothing to really write home about...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

It really doesn't fit in the x16 Slot??

It doesn't need x16

And its better than the Onboard Graphics anyway.

He might loose a bit performance but nothing to really write home about...

Yeah it's not much

See if you can use a PCIe extender

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I thought about using a really short extender, there's just not a lot of room. And I trust my soldering skills to the point of removing the 4x slot... But then the added height of the card with the extender, don't know if the case will close. 

I just don't understand Dell for doing this to the small form, the standard 7040 has the pcie 16x as the first slot

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

See if you can use a PCIe extender

For what exactly??
So that he can destroy his perfectly working Motherboard??

2 hours ago, Menace081 said:

I thought about using a really short extender, there's just not a lot of room. And I trust my soldering skills to the point of removing the 4x slot... But then the added height of the card with the extender, don't know if the case will close. 

I just don't understand Dell for doing this to the small form, the standard 7040 has the pcie 16x as the first slot

Don't!

Even the shittiest Motherboards are 4 Layers, the better ones even 6 Layer.

So you need to preheat the Board before soldering. And even then...

So in short, with removing a PCIe Slot I give you an 85% Chance of destroying it for nothing.

You might eventually loose a bit performance but you won't destroy the Board when using it in the other slot, while you probably will destroy the Board when trying to desolder the Slot.

And as you noticed, you don't even have the space for it anyway....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I noticed... I might actually get away with using an extender and rotating the gpu 180°, looks like it will work. Makes we wish the were gpu's with its connections on the other side (flipped)