Looking to build basic Storage Server

Yomankeenan

Hey guys I was looking to build a simple storage server with some drives in A RAID configuration. It would primarily be for backups and storing like movies and stuff. Looking to spend maybe $350-400 to get this done. So what are some good cpu motherboard combos for this. Not sure if this is the right subforum if not please tell me and I shall repost it there and delete this one.

Come post in the Storage forum, you'll get lots of recommendation.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

As far as CPU/Mobo combinations go, I would recommend a Haswell Celeron and whatever the cheapest motherboard is that also has the right number of SATA ports you want. Something like this would be perfectly adequate for what you want to do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130731

Or this one, if you need HDMI out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130730

That'll put you at about $100 for CPU/Mobo, which is about as cheap as it gets. Pick up a 2x1GB RAM set (~$30), a low-wattage PSU (the corsair CX430 is a good one, ~$40), a cheap hard drive/ssd for your boot drive and maybe grab 2x 2TB hard drives (you can get Seagate Barracudas for around $90) and run them in RAID 1. That should put you around $400, not including your OS or case.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to go post this in the storage section.

As far as CPU/Mobo combinations go, I would recommend a Haswell Celeron and whatever the cheapest motherboard is that also has the right number of SATA ports you want. Something like this would be perfectly adequate for what you want to do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130731

Or this one, if you need HDMI out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130730

That'll put you at about $100 for CPU/Mobo, which is about as cheap as it gets. Pick up a 2x1GB RAM set (~$30), a low-wattage PSU (the corsair CX430 is a good one, ~$40), a cheap hard drive/ssd for your boot drive and maybe grab 2x 2TB hard drives (you can get Seagate Barracudas for around $90) and run them in RAID 1. That should put you around $400, not including your OS or case.

I put together this simple build. Thoughts on this and any ways I can reduce costs?

CPU:  Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.97 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard:  MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($53.99 @ Mwave) 
Total: $608.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 18:55 EST-0500)

Change to a Celeron processor, will save you $15.

The only way to really cut costs would be to reduce the amount of storage you want.

I don't see a boot drive, are you storing data on the same volume as your OS?

You could also go with a pre-built system from Synology, Qnap, WD, Seagate, etc.