MSI BIOS Update Hung

WiiManic

Hi,

I'm currently in the middle of a BIOS update for my MSI Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard.

I downloaded the update direct from MSI, put it on a freshly formatted USB into a USB 2 on the back, and updated via M-Flash in the BIOS UI.

About 40 minutes ago it reached 100%....and is now just sat there.

Looking at videos and what not, it looks like it should have instantly rebooted once it hit 100% but that isn't the case.

Instead I'm just looking at the "BIOS is updating" screen, whilst it sits at 100%.

Is there anything I can do?

I'd ring MSI support to see, but there offices are currently closed, and since my PC is next to my bed, I'm not especially keen on waiting all night for that.

I can see the USB activity light has stopped, so no data is being read, but there is still warnings about turning the device off/unplugging anything.

Cheers!

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Why were you updating the bios...

You should never do that unless you're specifically having issues with CPU or ram.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why were you updating the bios...

You should never do that unless you're specifically having issues with CPU or ram.

Or  unless you have a dual bios situation where it doesn’t matter if the main dies. But his board doesn’t so it was a bad idea for him to update. I know what I said doesn’t really contribute, but if you need a new board then remember that.

3 minutes ago, Docretier said:

Or  unless you have a dual bios situation where it doesn’t matter if the main dies. But his board doesn’t so it was a bad idea for him to update. I know what I said doesn’t really contribute, but if you need a new board then remember that.

All he can do at this point is wait for a while longer, maybe a few hours, and then just turn it off and hope it's not bricked.

Otherwise he needs a new motherboard.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yep, left it a few hours and then gave up and had to force power off and hope for the best.

Motherboard is fine, it reset my settings (or maybe it does that normally for a BIOS update?), but the update applied and then all I had to do was reapply the overclock and XMP profile. Back into Windows now and stress tests etc are all fine too.

No idea why the MSI updater decided to just hang at 100% when the install was apparently finished but sorted now.

Normally I wouldn't update the BIOS, but in this case I was having some hardware issues that I wanted to check weren't Mobo related, and also to apply the security updates due to the recent-ish Intel issues (TXE 3.0 issues).

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4