High End New'ish PC (Throttling?)

Hey there!

A little while ago I upgraded from my old (Frankenstein's monster) PC to the more high end one I have now.

Needless to say I don't know a whole ton about every aspect of this as of yet and am still learning.

I mainly game and stream but since I got this PC I always felt like something was holding it back.

At the beginning I did some digging and turned the power to performance mode from it's previous setting and that seemed to improve it a little bit, but it still feels off.

I have mainly been playing Fortnite Save The World (BRs burnt me out real quickly, more of an MMO player) and when I start playing I get a pretty solid 100-144fps on medium/low settings but after a short amount of time it drops to sub 60 fps.

It never seemed to be at a specific time or anything was overheating (I watch my temps on MSI) and after a quick re-launch of the game, the fps come right back. 

I'm not sure if it's just poor optimization on the games behalf or on my end.

I have had this PC for pretty close to a year and make sure I check for dust every month or so, keep it clean and in an open space with proper air flow. (will include picture)

When I play a game along the lines of Witcher 3 or Destiny 2 I can have it on Epic with a solid 100+ fps and no problems which leads me to believe the issue with fortnite is it's own optimization.  

I'm not sure if I just expect more from this PC than what is realistic but for the price I payed I was expecting more I suppose.

When streaming any game the FPS can take a horrible hit and is somewhat expected with the extra stress on the CPU but my old PCs i7 3770 seemed to run some games even better than this one.

All in all I keep my drivers updated (nearly every day, thanks nvidia) and if anyone had any suggestions as to a setting I can change to improve the performance.

I feel like something is turned on a low setting or something is throttling.

I can provide any extra info if needed.

Thank you!

Specs:

CPU - Intel Core i7 7820x 8-Core 16-Thread + Dark Rock Pro 3 Extreme CPU Cooler

Ram - 32GB DDR4 4x8GB

Motherboard - ASUS X299 TUF MARK 2

GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB HYBRID Water Edition

Memory - 256GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 Solid State Drive + 3TB Western Digital RED Hard Disk Drive

Case - Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass Edition, Black

Power Supply - EVGA SUPERNova 850w 80+ Gold Rated

OS - Windows 10 64-bit

Monitor - Dual ASUS Full HD 1080p 144Hz 1ms DP HDMI DVI Eye Care Gaming LED-Lit Monitor 27"

The build was done for me at an small, out of town (but somewhat local shop) that only does gaming PCs.

28236502_10155328453832338_2118866170_n.jpg

28233268_10155328453857338_1898231644_n.jpg

7 minutes ago, Innermore said:

All in all I keep my drivers updated (nearly every day, thanks nvidia) and if anyone had any suggestions as to a setting I can change to improve the performance.

You do that through Geforce Experience?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

You do that through Geforce Experience?

I do, yes

1 minute ago, Innermore said:

I do, yes

Geforce Experience does one of the WORSE jobs ever when comes down to wiping possible left overs from older drivers, at some point you're bond to create conflicts between old and new because of this habit of yours to update all the time.

Only update drivers if you'll play a game recently released otherwise it's actually good to keep using your current driver just to avoid breaking stuff.

I advise you to DDU in safe mode and reinstall the drivers (it can be through GE again you'll have to reinstall it too after DDU in safe mode) all fresh new.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Geforce Experience does one of the WORSE jobs ever when comes down to wiping possible left overs from older drivers, at some point you're bond to create conflicts between old and new because of this habit of yours to update all the time.

Only update drivers if you'll play a game recently released otherwise it's actually good to keep using your current driver just to avoid breaking stuff.

I advise you to DDU in safe mode and reinstall the drivers (it can be through GE again you'll have to reinstall it too after DDU in safe mode) all fresh new.

About a month ago I did a full clean and install of my driver with DDU on safe mode but had to start using geforce again because if I didn't have the most recent driver it would conflict with OBS and cause it to crash.