Android box and TV black screen

Hello dear people,

So here is the thing.

My friend has a big tv and it is quite old. The monitor has a DVI connector, SCART, S-video, component (I think that is how it is called) and some other old connectors. It doesn't have HDMI, neither does it have VGA.

She doesn't have a cable tv because people that had previously lived there didn't pay and now the bill is very large and she doesn't want to pay it nor does she know the people that were living there.

The solution is that she would buy an Android tv box. It is this one, W95.

The box works fine, we have checked it on my tv, although the sound over hdmi cable is unusable and choppy, we will connect a set of speakers to the box so that is not a real issue.

She needs a HDMI to DVI adapter in order to connect it to the tv. We have bought one and tried to connect the box to the tv and the screen is blank, just a black picture.

Tried to connect a laptop on the same cable and HDMI to DVI adapter, works fine.

Tried changing some settings on the tv, nope, still a black screen.

After a lot of googling I think it may be the HDCP compliance thing. 

BUT, I have read that all new laptops have HDCP and the laptop worked fine when connected to the tv.

Why wouldn't the Android tv box work then?

Am I missing something or is it HDCP that is a problem?

Do you have any idea what would be the cause or maybe have a suggestion or a solution?

If you need any info please ask, I may have missed out on something.