R9 280 might of overheated! Help!

Ok so i played all day long and everything was going fine until my screen starting getting blue stripes with some red letter in it ( a letter that i had never seen before) then there came green stripes, well i coulden't really play anymore so i decided to go to bed. When i woke up the day after I tried starting my computer and the same thing happend until i while later when the screen just went black and i coulden't start.

Is this because of overheating or something else?

And if it is overheating then is there any way i can recover the card or should i just buy a new one?

5 minutes ago, Maxan98 said:

Ok so i played all day long and everything was going fine until my screen starting getting blue stripes with some red letter in it ( a letter that i had never seen before) then there came green stripes, well i coulden't really play anymore so i decided to go to bed. When i woke up the day after I tried starting my computer and the same thing happend until i while later when the screen just went black and i coulden't start.

Is this because of overheating or something else?

And if it is overheating then is there any way i can recover the card or should i just buy a new one?

If you have any overclock on it, take it back to stock.

Monitor the temps with Afterburner or other software to check what they are at under load.  If needed, you can pull the cooler off and check the paste application.

Unfortunately, the r9280 is old enough, it might just be broken.  Good luck!

Sounds like your card is dying or just about mostly dead.

What are all your specs? Does the problem occur with the iGPU(if you have one)?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If it crashes because of overheating try to clean the fans and renew the thermal paste. That helped me a lot with my old graphics card in terms of overheating.

3 minutes ago, eMhooRay said:

If it crashes because of overheating try to clean the fans and renew the thermal paste. That helped me a lot with my old graphics card in terms of overheating.

Will try!