Unsure if fault in RAM or motherboard

Hello internet people, 

I'm currently having some pretty annoying issues on my PC and I'm hoping to get some help in identifying the problem. I recently swapped my old HDD for a 250GB SSD and a new HDD as I had been getting super frequent blue screens, many issues with programs (Spotify corrupting, chrome crashing etc.) and the hard drive would be at 100% in task manager despite doing practically nothing. 

But it would seem there are some other hardware faults (can't imagine its software as I performed a clean install) as I have still been experiencing (MUCH less frequent) blue screens, issues with chrome and an error message very rarely appearing at shutdown (or upon logging in during a bad spell of BSOD's which culminated in using windows troubleshooter to repair itself) mentioning a memory address which cannot be written to (take that with a grain of salt as the message is only ever on screen for less than a second so I haven't yet managed to properly read it), I have run memtest86 and it found so many errors that it aborted the test - however when testing each of the sticks individually memtest86 finds no errors. I'm wondering if this could be an issue with my motherboard? I definitely have the RAM in the same coloured slots and I have also checked each of the slots individually and memtest86 found no issues so slots do all seem to be working but maybe there's an issue causing the motherboard to be unable to use both sticks properly? 

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me can advise on whether this is a RAM or motherboard issue (it'd really suck to buy new RAM and then it turns out to be a motherboard issue :/)

PC details:
PSU: Coolermaster PSU ElitePower 500W OEM Rs500-PCAPI3-BU
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-P
CPU: Intel i7-4790k
RAM: 2x DDR3 HyperX 4GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: Seagate 2TB (ST2000DM006-2DM164)

Thanks so much for any help you can give! :)

memtest.zip

dump files.zip

memtest.zip

050618-3765-01.dmp

050618-3875-01.dmp

050618-4000-01.dmp

050618-4031-01.dmp

050618-7218-01.dmp

memtest86 abort screen.jpg

memtest86 test summary.jpg

in which slots do you have the memory installed? in most cases with older hardware like you have you need to put the memory in specific slots depending on how many sticks you have. you can find which one to use in the manual of your motherboard. 

about the hdd being slow, that could be a bad drive. even if it's new, you can always get stuff that is broken.. i would back it up... (i'm not knowlegable about harddrives, so maybe someone else can help with figuring out what's wrong with it)

and can you post the dump files and memtest stuff in another way? i'm not comfortable downloading random .zip files. 

She/Her

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

in which slots do you have the memory installed? in most cases with older hardware like you have you need to put the memory in specific slots depending on how many sticks you have. you can find which one to use in the manual of your motherboard. 

about the hdd being slow, that could be a bad drive. even if it's new, you can always get stuff that is broken.. i would back it up... (i'm not knowlegable about harddrives, so maybe someone else can help with figuring out what's wrong with it)

and can you post the dump files and memtest stuff in another way? i'm not comfortable downloading random .zip files. 

thanks so much for the reply! :D I've attached dump files to the post. I've got the current one stick of ram installed in slot DIMM_A2 as the manual recommends and when I was using both sticks I had them in DIMM_A2 and _B2 again as the manual recommends :/ (as for the hard drive I'm not worried about it, the troublesome one is now sat in a box and the new HDD in the PC is working brilliantly) thanks again for the reply! 

3 minutes ago, Jake17500 said:

thanks so much for the reply! :D I've attached dump files to the post. I've got the current one stick of ram installed in slot DIMM_A2 as the manual recommends and when I was using both sticks I had them in DIMM_A2 and _B2 again as the manual recommends :/ (as for the hard drive I'm not worried about it, the troublesome one is now sat in a box and the new HDD in the PC is working brilliantly) thanks again for the reply! 

that's weird.. i'm going to be stuck on a train for 30 minutes in a bit, so i'll do some research on those errors then. i'll reply when i've done that. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

that's weird.. i'm going to be stuck on a train for 30 minutes in a bit, so i'll do some research on those errors then. i'll reply when i've done that. 

thanks a ton man! 

3 minutes ago, Jake17500 said:

thanks a ton man! 

no worries. i'll reply in about 1.5 to two hours i guess... 

She/Her

i googled a bit but coudn't find much. it seems to be with one of the sitcks, because it begins at 6784 and ends at 7008 mb.. but just looking at it i can't see which one of the sticks it is exactly... 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i googled a bit but coudn't find much. it seems to be with one of the sitcks, because it begins at 6784 and ends at 7008 mb.. but just looking at it i can't see which one of the sticks it is exactly... 

hm so do you think my motherboard is okay? if so I'll probably go ahead and order a new set of ram sticks and replace the old ones :)

2 hours ago, Jake17500 said:

hm so do you think my motherboard is okay? if so I'll probably go ahead and order a new set of ram sticks and replace the old ones :)

eehm you said if you test the sticks individually they work right? that would mean a motherboard issue... do you have some other ram that you could try? i don't want to say it definetly is the motherboard, because i don't want you to waste your money....

She/Her

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

eehm you said if you test the sticks individually they work right? that would mean a motherboard issue... do you have some other ram that you could try? i don't want to say it definetly is the motherboard, because i don't want you to waste your money....

yup while using just one stick memtest86 finds no errors, but I am still getting BSOD's while just using the one stick. I'll see if I can sort out borrowing some ram from a friend but I'm not too confident I'd get it... do you know of any way to test the motherboard directly? 

2 hours ago, Jake17500 said:

yup while using just one stick memtest86 finds no errors, but I am still getting BSOD's while just using the one stick. I'll see if I can sort out borrowing some ram from a friend but I'm not too confident I'd get it... do you know of any way to test the motherboard directly? 

nope.. sorry.. 

She/Her

oh yeah do keep in mind that if something is very wrong with your board it might damage any ram you put in it, so make sure that the ram you are borrowing is not very important or something... 

She/Her

5 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

oh yeah do keep in mind that if something is very wrong with your board it might damage any ram you put in it, so make sure that the ram you are borrowing is not very important or something... 

hmm may rule out testing it with different ram but I'll see if I can work something out, might need to see if my local repair shop can diagnose the issue... 

thanks a ton for all your help by the way :)