Is 80° C (=176.0 °F) too hot for my gtx 970m ?

so before anyone hates me for having a gaming laptop i got it as a present for my 18th birthday and it was a surprise so i didn't really have a choice.

I have an acer predator with an intel core i7 6700 HQ 2.6 GHz, 16 Gb of Ram and a gtx 970m. Im playing overwatch mostly and i want to get a 144Hz monitor from BenQ because my monitor only has 60Hz so i set the fps in game to custom and i get around 150-200 fps on the lowest settings. So my first question is will i get the same fps if i actually have the monitor connected to the laptop ? i have a displayport. And the second question is should i worry about the gpu temperature ? the gtx 970m is getting to 80° C but it didnt go hotter after 1 hour of gaming so im not sure if i should buy the monitor after all if my laptop is getting so hot...before i capped my fps at 60 and i only had around 50-60° C...any advice ?

80C is fine and within the safe temperature range of the GPU. Laptops always get a bit toasty anyway. 

You should get the same FPS with the display connected. 

My 870m got to about 100° C in a few minutes , so 80 is perfectly fine. Also if the display res is the same as your laptop's you should get the same amount of fps.

The monitor connected has no impact on the actual performance on the PC; that's purely down to the components and their thermals. Considering that it's a laptop, 80c is absolutely fine, some Desktop systems hit that high if they have a quieter fan curve. Anyway, you are fine on both fronts, just watch what monitor you buy, quality can vary significantly between different panel types. Do some research and find out what monitor is better for you.

the monitor i plan to buy is a Benq Zowie XL2411P it has the same resolution 1920 x 1080...i never really had a monitor so i'm a bit worried i was a bit worried i won't get 144 fps that's why i tried testing it today. Are there different types of display ports ? I searched on google yesterday and just found out that only displayports and Dvi cables can be used for 144Hz and my laptop only has a displayport.

4 minutes ago, saty13 said:

the monitor i plan to buy is a Benq Zowie XL2411P it has the same resolution 1920 x 1080...i never really had a monitor so i'm a bit worried i was a bit worried i won't get 144 fps that's why i tried testing it today. Are there different types of display ports ? I searched on google yesterday and just found out that only displayports and Dvi cables can be used for 144Hz and my laptop only has a displayport.

When I said panel technology, I was referring to things like TN, VA, and IPS. All have different qualities. TN is very fast in response times but has poor color reproduction. IPS is the best you're going to get if you're looking for something lifelike in terms of color reproduction. VA is a happy middle ground though it is prone to ghosting on cheaper monitors. As long as your resolution that you run the monitor at is the same as what it is on your laptop, you shouldn't experience any frame drops that you wouldn't expect. Displayport is just a connection with different versions adding newer technologies and support for higher bandwidth and thus resolution and framerates. DVI is an older standard that's pretty much dead and Displayport is much more widely used and provides better signal quality as well. It doesn't seem that you have done much research, just picked a cheap monitor with a decent res and 144hz. I would seriously encourage you to do some more research. The world of monitors is just vast and complex as the world of PCs if not more.

I know the difference between TN and IPS i just dont have the budget for an IPS monitor and i mainly use it for gaming anyway so i want to get more frames instead of better colors that's why i didn't even consider other panels. As far as i know there are no other panels, apart from TN, that have 144 hz and cost around 200-300 euros.

Thanks a lot for your advice though :)